New Contacts Forum?

This is a copy of a posting I put in the General Discussion form:-

We need a method of spotting fellow concertina.net chums

Perhaps we need a "contacts" forum, specifically for people to put the "who's going to XYZ" and "I'm moving to ABC" postings, and also to make the resulting arrangememts. The existence of a separate forum might cause people to use it as a matter of habit, and thus make more personal connections.

Chris

We need a method of spotting fellow concertina.net chums

Perhaps we need a "contacts" forum, specifically for people to put the "who's going to XYZ" and "I'm moving to ABC" postings, and also to make the resulting arrangememts. The existence of a separate forum might cause people to use it as a matter of habit, and thus make more personal connections.

The web site of the "Morris Dance Discussion List" includes a pdf of a round logo to be printed on yellow paper and pressed into a button (badge in the UK). We call it the FYB (Funny Yellow Button) and wear it to Morris events so we can recognize each other. Perhaps we should do something similar here.

Of course, you could also purchase a Concertina.net shirt or other item, and wear/use it! (Merchandise link at top of this page). ^_^ End of commercial.

As for your suggestion, I'm interested in other reactions from folks here. Perhaps it could be broadened a bit ("connections forum" ?) to include searches for a local teacher or local playing companion when one is already in an area but new to concertina or just new to asking for company.

I think a connections forum, separate from the General discussion would be very useful.

Can we get a pdf of the T-Shirt so we can print one out on paper? A bit like the dress Barbie cut outs - with tabs on the shoulder to hold it in place :P

• 5 weeks later...

Well I for one think it is a great idea. I did however find that I could update the diary on this site myself to put events in. The problem is though you rely on other people going to it specifically as I think it is hard to notice the little hyperlink about events.

It would also stop the general discussion forum being swamped by postings about things that some of us can't get to because we are on the other side of the world.

We had a problem at work where every so often we would get an e-mail to all staff in the organisation saying - "there is cake on the top floor" - which was nice except for the top floor in question is 40 miles away from me!

... update the diary on this site myself to put events...  It would also stop the general discussion forum being swamped by postings about things that some of us can't get to because we are on the other side of the world!

Another great idea

We had a problem at work where every so often we would get an e-mail to all staff in the organisation saying - "there is cake on the top floor" - which was nice except for the top floor in question is 40 miles away from me!

Was it a big cake?

It would also stop the general discussion forum being swamped by postings about things that some of us can't get to because we are on the other side of the world.

That assumes that people would actually post to the Connections subForum instead of the General subForum. If the experience is anything like the other forums -- Construction, History, Learning, etc. -- I think it would turn out to be pretty hit-and-miss.

Based on experience, I'm inclined to agree with Jim. I believe we can set up a credible subforum aimed specifically at impending and recent moves and travel by people who want to meet other concertinists or find a teacher. But discussion of big events like weekends and regular meetings are hard to parse out and can live in the General area. When a thread about an event not on my side of the world gets to 3 or 4 pages I learn to recognize the title of the thread and don't reread it if it is not of interest. I suggest we consider this approach.