Strange feeling

Sitting at my desk here at work, I'm passing the time before I go off to the canteen where they present me whatever they're going to present me with after 19 years with this company. I'm retiring. My choice, which makes feel even stranger. Tomorrow I start on a different life. It should be fun, but right now it feels very odd ...

Chris

Mr. Monk would presumably reply: "Why the hell couldn't you complete the 20 years?!!" ;)

Besides this I'd think that the oddness belongs to just this last day of your old life, whereas tomorrow and the day after tomorrow will contrast whith the past in their own good way...

I whish you all the best!

Sitting at my desk here at work, I'm passing the time before I go off to the canteen where they present me whatever they're going to present me with after 19 years with this company. I'm retiring. My choice, which makes feel even stranger. Tomorrow I start on a different life. It should be fun, but right now it feels very odd ...

Chris

Hang in their Tim. Life will present you with new challenges, I’m sure, and perhaps more interesting ones as you shift your focus from work to your other life interests.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Chris,

If you play your cards right, you'll have a wonderful time.

Of course you won't suddenly have 40 hours a week free time. There are probably things to do that have been put on hold until retirement, and people will approach you with all sorts of duties with the lead-in, "You're retired, aren't you - you have the time to ..."

So make sure that you reserve time up front for your concertina practice. Let everything else fall into place around it, as it has hitherto fallen into place around your work.

Have fun!

Cheers,

John

All the best, you'll never know where you found the time to work!:rolleyes:

too true biggrin.gif but as John warned you'll find lots of people deciding that you're free, at the drop of a hat, to do all sorts of little time consuming jobs for them ...... "to fill your days now you're retired and have nothing to do" !!

the art of saying " Thankyou but NO, I'm rather busy today/tomorrow/this week" convincingly is worth perfecting biggrin.gif

Have a long and happy retirement doing whatever you wish to do smile.gif

Well I've just got back home. They did me proud with all the wine and that. Feeling less strange (but that may be the wine and beer ). I know a fair bit of what I'm going to do:-

1) Support Anne's greetings card business. Since she started the music degree she hasn't been able to spend the time on it she would like. The down side is, on my first day retired I can't have a lie-in because she's arranged for her accountant to call round at 8.30 am. Now that's cruel.

2) Music. We're in the process of starting a four-part close harmony group, plus we find we are apparently founder members of the Bath Jubilee City Waits, there's sessions to run and friends to play with.

3) Recording. I've spent the last few years building up a set of decent studio equipment and learning how to use it, basically for the interest of it, and in the process gaining a modest local reputation among folkies. I'll never make a living at it but a little income will help the money go further. But first I've got to rebuild the whole set up to get Anne's desk out of the room and make more space in time for some customers next month.

So much for taking it easy ...

Thanks for the best wishes all.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson