Schottische set

Alan Day

The second tune is called 'le Cochon Chine' (the Chinese Pig).There is also a particular dance that goes with that tune and perhaps the dance is called by the same name. I don't recognise the third one.

Hi Al.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

The second tune is called 'le Cochon Chine' (the Chinese Pig).There is also a particular dance that goes with that tune and perhaps the dance is called by the same name. I don't recognise the third one.

Hi Al.

Thanks Geoff I remember the tune name now.The tune goes with a circle dance involving three dancers.I can write it out if anyone is interested. A nice children's dance. The tune has been adopted by a number of Morris sides over here. The last tune is definitely a French Schottische ,one of the first I learnt and used to be played at every French Session I went to.Like a lot of tunes it has gone out of fashion ,time for a little revival.

Al

I'll have a further listen Al,

see if I can recognise the last tune... maybe my wife will have heard it somewhere.

Le Cochon Chine is popular at our local Bals... it is in all the musician's repertoires but usually only played as a request...perhaps the musicians are sick of it... as you say these tunes go in and out of fashion.

Hi Al.

Thinking about the name "Chinese Pig" the dance has a piggie in the middle theme to it ,perhaps that may be the link.

Not sure that the dance is French however, although we collected the tune and dance in France.

Al

Hi Al.

There is an "English" version of this tune called Cochin China; the ABC for it is below.

X:1

T:Cochin China

O:england

M:2/4

L:1/16

K:G

|:d4d2d2|B2G2B2d2|B2G2B2d2|d2c2 A4|

d4d2d2|B2G2B2d2|d2c2A2F2|G4z4:|

|:B4B2B2|G2E2 E4|c4c2c2|A2F2 F4|

d4d2d2|B2G2B2d2|d2c2A2F2|G4z4:|

Incidentally, Cochinchina was a region encompassing the southern third of Vietnam whose principal city is Saigon. It was a French colony from 1862 to 1954.

Chris