How was Kilve?

Well, it was my first visit so I can't comment about previous years but it seemed to go pretty well. I ended up halfway between beginners and improvers, but still got some useful insights.

Learnt a lot from Colin and Rosalie's Dipper's workshops, and had a go on a new Dipper C/G. Added a whole new dimension to desire and envy. It played like it it looked, and it looked stunning.

Turnout was about 84, I heard, food was excellent and plentiful and the bar was reasonable. Two barrels of real ale, some very sensible bottled ales, and they even had the courtesy to hide the Heineken taps with some towels. And the weather was nice.

The beginners and first timers included more Anglos than seemed usual, but I think English still had the majority with Duets being, I believe, a bit down.

Posted a few gleanings from the Dipper workshops on other threads.

Came home with a session tune book and the same number of concertinas that I arrived with... :rolleyes:

Learnt a lot from Colin and Rosalie's Dipper's workshops, and had a go on a new Dipper C/G. Added a whole new dimension to desire and envy. It played like it it looked, and it looked stunning.

Came home with a session tune book and the same number of concertinas that I arrived with... :rolleyes:

Did Colin bring the big Crane this time?

Since I didn't get to go, I'm hoping that it was as good as last year!

Got home this afternoon. another good weekend.

There is a new chef, and the food and catering were greatly improved.

I went to Claire Wren's band workshops. Claire had arranged one of her compositions in 8 parts - 4 trebles, 3 baritones and bass. We had 6 baritone players available to accommodate that. We also played Claire's arrangement of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I thought I would not like this but (In my view) it is one of a number songs which are greatly improved when the words are removed! :rolleyes:

Other workshops were for beginners and post-beginners English, and beginners and post-beginners Anglo, plus Paul McCann's duet group.

Most of the members of my local ensemble Kettle Bridge Concertinas were there, and we were pleased to be asked to play in the Saturday evening concert. We played Paul Barrett's arrangement of Liberty Bell.

Those with farther to travel have arranged to stay over an extra night to travel home on Monday instead of Sunday night. As before we took over the local pub the Hood Arms for a meal and music afterwards, There was a record number this time. I was not sure the pub would cope but their service was great. A great way to round off the weekend.

Sorry you missed it. Maybe see you next time.

- John Wild

So, what is the travel itinerary to get to Kilve? I finally took the time to look it up. It looks pretty obscure. Which is, of course lovely, but is there train or bus or only auto rental? (coming in from the States) And what is the travel time to get there? Just some things to comtemplate along with my navel........Michelle SE Wis USA

I'm sure Rod will advise, I would guess rental with Bristol being the nearest major airport. Rental from London is feasible, most of the drive is straightforward but tedious and probably not cheap with fuel costs. The last few miles are pretty rural.

Getting a lift from someone is a maybe but perhaps better to contact the organisers as they know where people are coming from.

You may be able to get a train or coach to Bridgewater and get someone to collect you from there.

Kilve is on the A39 Bridgewater-Minehead main road. Bus Number 14 from Bridgewater to Minehead runs through Kilve about every 2 hours, and takes about 35 mins from Bridgewater bus station. But it doesn't run on Sundays. Timetables here, but there are several no 14 buses in the region, you have to find the correct one. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/index.php?operator=3&page=1&redirect=no

There are a few direct trains from London Paddington to Bridgewater, but often the journey involves a change, usually at Taunton, in such cases taking around 2h20. There is also a once daily non-stop bus from London to Bridgewater, but it sets off from somewhere like Hammersmith.

It is a little walk from the railway station to the bus station in Bridgewater, 10 or 15 mins or so.