childrens' songs

mber

Hi everyone. Can you suggest good quality performers of american songs for children?

We're trying singing lessons for our little one, piano failed to attract her so far.

Everywhere we look, we see selections from musicals, adult content inappropriate for kids, unsuitable sexiness etc. I never heard kids sing childrens' songs together.

Would be nice to suggest to voice teacher a few catchy kids' songs with traditional flare.

Otherwise my daughter will be offered yet another piece from some "popular" musical.

Thanks.

I am unclear about what you are asking for here. Are you looking for music for your child to perform or to listen to? I can have my wife ask her sister, the music teacher, about sheet music appropriate to to your child's age group if you would like. Also, what exactly do you mean by American music? I am willing to help if I know more about what you are looking to find.

Alan

I'm not sure what's being asked here either...

... however, at the risk of answering a different question, we were given a _really_ nice recording of children's songs/nursery rhymes - here. It's all acoustic, sung very nicely and accompanied brilliantly by melodeon & fiddle. Our daughter Hazel (just 3) loves it and we can sing along/dance etc, and it's actually nice to listen to as an adult too (if you like the English folky/trad sound!).

Edited by RatFace

Ratface,

Nice selection!

Even I as a granddad could sing most of them unrehearsed for/with my granddaughter (3 next month), because I learned them when I was small myself!

Admittedly she doesn't speak English yet, but there are plenty of German children's songs that have been around as long as these English ones, and are still in every toddlers' song-book.

I think most of us have these songs burned into the music centre of our brains, which makes them ideal learning material for a new instrument.

Cheers,

John

I'm not sure what's being asked here either...

... however, at the risk of answering a different question, we were given a _really_ nice recording of children's songs/nursery rhymes - here. It's all acoustic, sung very nicely and accompanied brilliantly by melodeon & fiddle. Our daughter Hazel (just 3) loves it and we can sing along/dance etc, and it's actually nice to listen to as an adult too (if you like the English folky/trad sound!).

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Only there is no way of listening to the samples on the website. Any other hints?

Sheet music would help too, but mostly if it's a folk tune, I can either dig the chords, or a teacher would be able to play it by ear.

Thanks.

This is a nice album of Irish songs, simple and sweet but not saccharine:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Was-Young-Childrens-Ireland/dp/B000QZXX1W/

or http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/Len-Graham-Garry-Ó-Briain-Pádraigín-Ní-Uallachá-When-I-Was-Young-Children-s-Songs-From-Ireland-MP3-Download/11421832.html

Spider John Koerner is an American singer and guitarist who often performs traditional American songs, many of which are sometimes sung as children's songs, but his versions are honest and not watered down for kids. I've listed probably the most kid-friendly songs below:

http://www.amazon.com/Nobody-Knows-Trouble-Ive-Been/dp/B000S5AMHS/

Froggie Went A-courtin'

What's A Matter With The Mill?

The Leather-winged Bat

Sail Away Ladies

Acres of Clams

http://www.amazon.com/Raised-By-Humans/dp/B000S5BR9K

The Fox

The Young Man Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn

Boll Weevil

The Farmer's Curst Wife

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5DWNE/

Casey Jones

The Days Of Forty-nine

Stewball

Hi everyone. Can you suggest good quality performers of american songs for children?

We're trying singing lessons for our little one, piano failed to attract her so far.

Everywhere we look, we see selections from musicals, adult content inappropriate for kids, unsuitable sexiness etc. I never heard kids sing childrens' songs together.

Would be nice to suggest to voice teacher a few catchy kids' songs with traditional flare.

Otherwise my daughter will be offered yet another piece from some "popular" musical.

Thanks.

You might try John McCutcheon (any of his "Four Seasons" CDs, or Family Garden) or Bob Reid.

Not quite on topic, but I recently refound my copy of "The Singing Game" by Iona and Peter Opie. First published in 1985, it documents the musical playground games that had been traditionally played in the British Isles, and were disappearing under the pressures of 20th century life. It's a nice mixture of a social history, a music book, a scholarly analysis, and a reversion to childhood. It complements the two other Opie books "Children's Games in Street and Playground", and "Children's Games with Things".

I can clearly remember playing "Oats and Beans and Barley Grow", The Big Ship Sails", "Oranges and Lemons", etc in school playgrounds.

Regards,

... however, at the risk of answering a different question, we were given a _really_ nice recording of children's songs/nursery rhymes - here.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Only there is no way of listening to the samples on the website. Any other hints?

I haven't been able to find any clips online, but if you buy it I'm almost certain you (and your child) will love it!