Ebay Scams, Cost, So Many Variables...

kiminca

As a new concertina player, I have quickly outgrown the "chinese lantern" that I purchased as a test model. I'm now looking for a intermediate model (i.e. a new Herrington, Morse, ???), or a used quality instrument. I’m not too sure which way to turn. I have been keeping my eye on Ebay and am aghast at the cost of a better used model (Wheatstones, Jefferies, lachenal). Is this cost because there are so few good instruments out there, or because these instruments truly worth it?

I do appreciate the scam advice. I guess with the high price of these instruments, scammers could make a quick buck on someone like me who isn't in the know. That on top of the fear of receiving a wood worm infested item is making me wish I had picked up something like the piano accordian instead. Nah, I like the concertina, I just wish I had an instrument that sounded better than a bicycle horn.

Looking for advice,

Kimberly

Is this cost because there are so few good instruments out there, or because these instruments truly worth it?

A bit of both. They are rare, yet brand-new instruments of similar quality are even rarer, and they cost even more, not because of their rarity, but because of the labor (materials, yes, but mainly labor) that goes into making them. In these modern times, it costs a lot to keep a human being alive.

Don't dispair, you can find something both honest and appropriate. It just takes a bit of work and patience (all the resources and folks here can help you). If you could walk into any local music store and buy a concertina it would be like the guitar, and we wouldn't be here having these discussions. We'd be arguing about the best material for bridge pins, or strings, or...

Good luck.

If that's the case add Tedrow (Holmwood Music) and Edgeley

Thanks, I looked up "homewood" but I couldn't find anything on Edgeley. Are there a user review out there?

I have been playing an anglo system and perfer to stay with the anglo. I have a 20 button and want a 30 button.