Dickinson EC ebay

Seán Ó Fearghail

I have a model 22 Wheatstone English concertina, 48 buttons as well. But I see that this one looks bigger, why is that so? is this a baritone concertina? or it has more reeds per button? and the seller says that this concertina is loud and it's perfect for sessions; I've never seen an English Concertina that is half loud than an Anglo, is this an exception? is there a difference between aeola and concertina?

Sorry for my unculture, I hope to learn with the help of the members of this forum

Fernando

The majority of the Dickinson Wheatstones (anglos and English models) are made with long scale reeds - 96 long scale reed frames fit more comfortably into the octagonal Aeola than into the standard Hexagonal. My understanding is that Aeola was a Wheatstone tradename - see here for some interesting history.

David

The majority of the Dickinson Wheatstones (anglos and English models) are made with long scale reeds - 96 long scale reed frames fit more comfortably into the octagonal Aeola than into the standard Hexagonal. My understanding is that Aeola was a Wheatstone tradename - see here for some interesting history.

David

Thanks David! good to know!

Fernando

$5,700 seems like an awful lot of money for an English concertina. Unless it's spectacular. While Dickenson's concertinas are well made and look great I haven't always been impressed by their sound. Perhaps the raw power of the Anglo has corrupted my ears for finer things.

David

Thanks David! good to know!

Fernando

Not quite right!

For the same dimension across the flats an octagon is smaller than a hexagon in both square area and perimeter length.

Chris