Monster storm bears down on Queensland

A bit off topic, but what an epic year for poor Queensland. After a long drought, mammoth rains flood an area the size of France. And now, still recovering from that, a category 5 cyclone is bearing down on them...with the strongest winds ever seen there ( http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/us-australia-cyclone-idUSTRE70U16S20110202 ). Having seen what one of those cat 5 storms can do to our Gulf Coast here in Texas, my thoughts are with the Aussies. There are some c.netters and of course many concertina players in Queensland and eastern Australia; let's hope they stay safe and keep those Jeffries and Stanleys high and dry.

Dan

A bit off topic, but what an epic year for poor Queensland. After a long drought, mammoth rains flood an area the size of France. And now, still recovering from that, a category 5 cyclone is bearing down on them...with the strongest winds ever seen there ( http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/us-australia-cyclone-idUSTRE70U16S20110202 ). Having seen what one of those cat 5 storms can do to our Gulf Coast here in Texas, my thoughts are with the Aussies. There are some c.netters and of course many concertina players in Queensland and eastern Australia; let's hope they stay safe and keep those Jeffries and Stanleys high and dry.

Dan

Thanks a lot Dan for this up to date news,

my daughter/ grandaughter and next expected grandchild live in Brisbane... so I will be looking at any news I can find. They did not get flooded in this last period but it came close......

Yes thanks for your concern - this has been a bad year for weather.

We were a couple of metres above the flood line (in Brisbane), so had no troubles.

The North came through the cyclone fairly well, considering. It was bad, but mainly in terms of property damage.

The building codes and advice to evacuate critical areas seems to have been effective, and the right balance.

(Sorry I haven't been posting lately, but under the old version of Internet Explorer the screen formatting was wild, and it was too difficult to do).