too good to be true?

Tom Rhoads

Looks like a Crane duet. The description of its condition sounds too good to be true:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=150550606946

Any comments from the gallery?

I would not be surprised to find that it needs pads, valves, a re-tune to A=440, and possibly more work than that. Could well be a great instrument after restoration, but the sale price is only the beginning of the cost.

Looks like a Crane duet. The description of its condition sounds too good to be true:

I would not be surprised to find that it needs pads, valves, a re-tune to A=440, and possibly more work than that. Could well be a great instrument after restoration, but the sale price is only the beginning of the cost.

If it's a 58 then it likely stops at C (1 ocktave below middle C) on the left hand.

I asked the seller about the tuning (like many others, apparently) and he tells me that he doesn't know, he doesn't know any musicians who might be able to help, and he doesn't know much about concertinas.

Buyer beware...

Edited by SteveP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150550606946

According to the ledgers, it is a Crane duet, made in 1916. Cosmetically, there is some damage to it.The screws holding the ends in place have been countersunk in many places and the fretwork has the usual signs of fine cracks on it. It undoubtedly can be nicely restored and has the potential to make a fine instrument, especially as it dates from Wheatstone's supposedly good period, that Chris Algar is wont to refer to.

Chris

57 keys plus air. I'd bet it is a 55 with an f# and a g extending the high f to g. I think I played one just like this back in 2004. If so, the right hand starts on middle c and extends 32 chromatic notes upward. The left hand has all the notes between c above middle c and c below middle c. Maybe more is always better, but this is a very useful range and a pretty compact, light weight instrument with the right amount of bellow capacity. The owner of the one I saw did a good job playing it and singing with it as well. It was a solid, no excuses, instrument.

I wouldn't call it to good to be true, but it sure might have potential. On the other hand, that is a lot of money to put down without seeing it up close or at least having a knowledgeable person vouching for the condition, etc. It could ready to play great out of the box or it could require half again (or more) in repairs.

57 keys plus air. I'd bet it is a 55 with an f# and a g extending the high f to g. I think I played one just like this back in 2004. If so, the right hand starts on middle c and extends 32 chromatic notes upward. The left hand has all the notes between c above middle c and c below middle c. Maybe more is always better, but this is a very useful range and a pretty compact, light weight instrument with the right amount of bellow capacity. The owner of the one I saw did a good job playing it and singing with it as well. It was a solid, no excuses, instrument.

I wouldn't call it to good to be true, but it sure might have potential. On the other hand, that is a lot of money to put down without seeing it up close or at least having a knowledgeable person vouching for the condition, etc. It could ready to play great out of the box or it could require half again (or more) in repairs.

I'd hold out for more low range like on our Crabbs, Kurt.

According to the ledgers, it is a Crane duet, made in 1916. Cosmetically, there is some damage to it.The screws holding the ends in place have been countersunk in many places and the fretwork has the usual signs of fine cracks on it. It undoubtedly can be nicely restored and has the potential to make a fine instrument, especially as it dates from Wheatstone's supposedly good period, that Chris Algar is wont to refer to.

Chris

And someone who I strongly suspect to be Chris Algar bought it, for $2000.

Ah, but the person who buys it from Chris will be buying a known quantity ... not taking a chance.

And paying for whatever restoration/re-tuning turned out to be needed, plus Chris's mark-up. Maybe $3000 or $3500 in the end?

That would be, what, £1800 - £2200? It could cost a bit more, depending on the demand.