differences in reed shoe metal?

Hello

Chris just mentioned the titanium reed shoes in his new Carroll concertina.

I have always wondered what are the differences between the different materials as far as tone and playability or whatever. I suppose weight is a major difference.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

Chris Stevens' Carroll does not have titanium shoes. (Chris has edited his post.)

One of Wally Carroll's personal concertinas (Art Deco or Bb; can't remember which?) does have ultra light titanium shoes. But due to cost and extra difficulty in machining it is not clear at this time whether they will ever be a Carroll production option.

I believe everyone in the shop felt that the sound was comparable to that of brass shoes.

Titanium is light. My impression is that it may be 40% lighter than some brass alloys (metalurgical data welcome).

Aluminum is even lighter than titanium (by 50%). It comes with its own set of difficulties in machining.

My personal opinion is that brass shoes sound the best. Others, some no less august than Geoff Crabb, may opine that there is no significant difference in sound between instruments with aluminum and brass shoes.

And you know, they could be right! Numerous aspects of construction and different materials contribute to a concertina's sound. It is difficult to separate the individual effects of each.

Greg

PS. Here is a link to a chart comparing a cubic feet of different materials:

http://mojobob.com/roleplay/weight_chart.html

It appears if weight were the only consideration then we should make our shoes out of charcoal or cork!! :lol: :o

Edited by Greg Jowaisas