Metal Ends

Having just taken the metal ends from an early Jones concertina to be rechromed (or renickeled) at the local electroplaters, they are unsure of the base metal used in construction. It is non metallic,, silver in colour but unresponsive to Duroglit polish and shows no signs of any corrosion, apart from a little pitting around the button holes. It still has traces of the original plating under the handles.

Having polished it ready to plate, they don't want to proceed without some idea of the substrate.

Any ideas out there??

Edited by Billcro

Having polished it ready to plate, they don't want to proceed without some idea of the substrate.

I can't answer your question, but I would direct you to this earlier discussion of plating, and in particular Stephen Chambers' first post there.

You appear to be lucky enough to be working with a people who at least know that there is a danger. Imagine if they had used some assumed "standard" solution and voltage and inadvertently dissolved your beautiful ends.

...an early Jones concertina to be rechromed (or renickeled)...

Others know better than I do, but I'm pretty sure the original plating would have been nickel. I don't think chrome plating came into use until long after Jones was through making concertinas.

...they are unsure of the base metal used in construction. It is non metallic...

A "nonmetallic" metal? Isn't that a contradiction? Could you mean non-magnetic, or non-ferrous? In any case, I hope they don't do anything until they know exactly what it is, even if that means paying a laboratory to analyze it.

Usually it is an alloy of nickel, zinc and copper that was called "German silver", otherwise known as nickel silver.

I would always be worried about getting ends replated, having heard too many stories of platers losing them in the plating bath (easily done !). Yours sound like they care though !

I used to own a Jeffries where the ends had been replated, so it can be done. However, although it looked dazzling I think, to be honest, I prefer them with a patina of age, makes them look as if they've been around a bit, like a great Shakespearean actor who's earned his wrinkles the hard way. Imagine Gielgud with a face lift.

Chris