English or Duet Teachers (or anyone) in San Francisco

bferrett

Hello all,

My name is Brian and I am going to purchase a concertina. It will be either a Duet(Elise) or an English (Jack).

I have browsed the forums for about a month or so learning as much as I can and boy is there a lot to learn. My wife has requested that I find someone who knows how to play it, or at least can fake it really well, and see if after I get my instrument I can take lessons or learn some pointers. There seem to be Anglo teachers, but not much in the way of English or Duet.

I am located in San Francisco and can arrange to get anywhere within an hour or so outside the city.

Thanks to anyone who knows anyone,

Bri

Hello all,

My name is Brian and I am going to purchase a concertina. It will be either a Duet(Elise) or an English (Jack).

I have browsed the forums for about a month or so learning as much as I can and boy is there a lot to learn. My wife has requested that I find someone who knows how to play it, or at least can fake it really well, and see if after I get my instrument I can take lessons or learn some pointers. There seem to be Anglo teachers, but not much in the way of English or Duet.

I am located in San Francisco and can arrange to get anywhere within an hour or so outside the city.

Bri

OK. I'm located in San Francisco, Inner Richmond, Not a great player either, but learned a thing or two. I can't offer lessons on ongoing basis, simply don't have material and skill to pretend to be a teacher, but a few workshops - yes.

I will advice against Jack, buy a Jackie. Better instrument, better sound, easier to play. You'll buy Jack later, when you will need it. It has very serious limitations due to heavy reed tongues and not enough quality to play an octave below.

Send me a PM to talk about details. I've got some music and probably you'll help me to pick it up again.

I don't like to play Irish music more than a tune a month and mostly concentrate on some classical, some popular. My style is oriented towards harmony playing. That's why Jack wasn't good for me. Baritone doesn't sound well in harmony.

However, if there are better musicians here in SF, please respond.

Hello all,

Bri

I could help you get started on the Elise if you decide to go that route. I'm in the East Bay about 45 minutes from SF and I'm the only person I know of in the Bay Area who plays Hayden Duet (though I'd be happy to meet more players if they're out there!).

If you go with English, I believe that Vic Saravia gives lessons in San Francisco. I can get you his contact info if you're interested.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

If you go with English, I believe that Vic Saravia gives lessons in San Francisco. I can get you his contact info if you're interested.

He's on the Net.

Vic Saravia: Anglo & English Concertina, Keyboards & Guitar (415)242-0429

xplorations@earthlink.net