Jeffries Duet On Ebay

Chris Timson

...the long winded 'argueing the toss' type thread - ... have not been a problem in the last few months.
Oh! yes they have :P

Lester, Clilve said the last few, not the next few. ;)

... (Do I feel a new "bellows" coming on?)

Have threads with set closing dates! it would help stop the long winded 'argueing the toss' type thread...

I think we would start seeing a lot of "reservations not met", with re-"listing" from particular "sellers".

If we instituted Clive's sytem, though, it might cause severe behavioral conflict in individuals who could neither bear to miss getting in one more "snipe" (of course I know it's a pun!) before bidding closes, nor force themselves to cut short their text in order to do so. :unsure:

Very surprised, too. I think we can take it this is not going to end up as an anglo. From 1100 quid to 1800 in 10 minutes, then to 2800 in 1 minute. I wish my car could accelerate that fast.

Like Stephen I am bemused by the change in the market for Jeffries duets.

Chris

I think we can take it this is not going to end up as an anglo.

I hope you're right, Chris, but I can easily imagine someone believing that he could convert it and by the time he's finished get £4-5000 for the anglo on eBay, still a handsome profit.

I may well be wrong, but surely you could go to one of the dealers and buy a Jeffries Duet for less than this? Is this just a case of Jeffries mania and someone once again having more money than sense?.

The daft thing is that there must have been two people prepared to pay this much, well one up to £2750 and one to £2850+. I once saw someone pay £150+ on Ebay for an A3 scanner with a list price of about £100, so it could just be E-bay fever.

I noticed that the buyer had also bought a Wheatstone Anglo for £1450 about 6 days ago, is it a dealer? If so I can't see him making any profit on this unless, sadly, he converts it to an anglo.

I'm just glad I got my concertina many years ago. It still felt like a lot of money at that time, but I just couldn't afford it at all now. It is an early Jeffries, but I really didn't know anything about it at the time, I could just have easily ended up with a Crabb, Wheatstone or Lachenal, as long as it was a 30+ key anglo. I think I went for the Jeffries because of the nice shiny ends!

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne

I once saw someone pay £150+ on Ebay for an A3 scanner with a list price of about £100, so it could just be E-bay fever.

Very recently I saw a Canon lens hood I was interested in and bid 10 pounds for go for 25 pounds. Retail price 18.99.

Go (as our American friends would say) figure!

Chris

Clive,one of the issues here is that you CAN'T go to a dealer and ask for a Jeffries duet......they are rare to the point of non-existant.....or at least very rarely hit the open market.

I did bid on it,using eSnipe ( an excellent service,by the way), bid much more than I thought it was worth, but still was out-bid twice.I've been looking for a good Jeffries duet for a long time.

I would guess it won't end up as an anglo because he paid way too much for that.The recent 4000 pound anglo fit the large Irish market perfectly....I wonder if a 38 key would have fetched the same money

Regards Robin

I'm not in the least bit surprised.

It was common, at surplus auctions, to see year old computers going at auction for more than the new model by the same manufacturer went for new.

At one point, I picked up an IBM 5110 APL machine (little desktoppy thing, if I remember correctly it was actually a 360 inside) for $40 or $50. Someone payed $80 for the printer it had originally come with. Clearly, they just heard "printer". The printer for the IBM 5110 had three DB25 connectors arranged in a triangle, and would only work with the machine.

Auctions are only good if you know the actual value of what you are getting, and for that matter, know exactly what you are bidding on. These days, you can most likely get a better price by going directly to a dealer.

--Dave

At one point, I picked up an IBM 5110 APL machine...

A great machine!! :)

...if I remember correctly it was actually a 360 inside...

Actually, a 360 emulator, but that allowed it to run unmodified 360 machine code for the APL implementation.

Someone payed $80 for the printer it had originally come with. Clearly, they just heard "printer".

Probably, but can you be sure they didn't already have a 5110 at home in need of a printer?

I would love to find the footprint disc drive to go with my Ampere.

.... How's that for a digression?!! :ph34r: