Valve issue with my old Bb/F Lachenal

My 1860s vintage Lachenal Bb/F is developing an push/pull valve flap transition issue on the the C-row G/B on the left side:

http://www.tradlessons.com/lachenal_valve.mp3

Not sure how best to remedy this. Any recommendations for online resources for how to best go about replacing/reconditioning the valves for this note? The instrument was restored by Dipper, otherwise its playing extremely well. I've done reed tuning, comfortable opening instruments, but never had to deal with valve flaps, but don't want to ship the instrument for repair if this is something I can easily take care of myself since its just one valve pair.

Cheers and thanks for any suggestions,

Michael

lachenal_valve.mp3

Guest HallelujahAl!

Hi Michael - two thoughts occur to me listening to the soundfile you posted. Firstly, it may not actually be a valve issue. It sounds to me like the reed shoe may actully just be a little loose within the reed-pan. This is easily fixed by taking the reed shoe out of the reed-pan and pasting in a thin sliver of paper between the shoe and the side of the reedframe. This will stop the reed rattling around within the frame and can easily be an easy resolution to the problem.

Secondly, if it is a valve issue - then replacing valves is really dead easy. Again, removing the reedpan is no problem and then taking the valve off and gluing a new valve back into place is a cinch! David Leese Concertina Supplies will furnish you with an appropriately sized valve.

Hope this helps!

AL

i.e. hot glue gun, or recommended adhesive?

God no! the old white PVA does fine, Mike Acott uses old fashioned gum arabic for this I think; it scrapes off easily when you come to redo it.

i.e. hot glue gun, or recommended adhesive?

God no! the old white PVA does fine, Mike Acott uses old fashioned gum arabic for this I think; it scrapes off easily when you come to redo it.

Gum arabic is the best. You can get a version of it ready to use from Staples don't try to apply it with the tube, use a cocktail stick/toothpick.

Just a hint if you are going to replace valves.

I am not sure if you are going to do so, but if you do, take care to select the proper leather with similar flexibility and weight. In one of my tinas somebody once glued valves of a "wrong" leather in the reed pan, for the high reeds. These valves were too stiff. The result is that if I played a chord, these high notes were quiet while the other notes were relatively loud (the valves for the high note did not open)!!

Also I had to pull quite strongly to get a sound for a solo high note. The only thing that helped was to replace valves with the proper leather

Marien