Noel Hill Midwest 2010

About seven weeks until Noel Hill Concertina Camp Midwest August 1-6.

I always look forward to seeing Noel and getting together with old friends and making new ones.

There are always some surprises. Last year we got to watch Noel's reaction to the Frankie Gavin/DeDannan Debacle in real time. We streamed a laptop broadcast of Irish radio through the rec room's tv and watched many an arched eyebrow from Noel as he added history and background to the comments of Alec Finn, Tony McMann, Frankie Gavin and all.

Oh, there was lots of tunes and practice and playing as well.

I wonder if we can't get Randy Merris to give one of his lectures this year on miniature concertinas or music hall performers. (As if we could stop Randy once he gets rolling!) I'm always good for an instrument maintenance and troubleshooting workshop. Wally Carroll can usually be coaxed into a Carroll Concertina Factory tour.

Who's attending Midwest this year?

Greg

I always look forward to seeing Noel and getting together with old friends and making new ones.

There are always some surprises. Last year we got to watch Noel's reaction to the Frankie Gavin/DeDannan Debacle in real time. We streamed a laptop broadcast of Irish radio through the rec room's tv and watched many an arched eyebrow from Noel as he added history and background to the comments of Alec Finn, Tony McMann, Frankie Gavin and all.

I wonder if we can't get Randy Merris to give one of his lectures this year on miniature concertinas or music hall performers. (As if we could stop Randy once he gets rolling!) I'm always good for an instrument maintenance and troubleshooting workshop. Wally Carroll can usually be coaxed into a Carroll Concertina Factory tour.

Greg

I'll be there! It's definitely the highlight of my year. Did you ever find a new home for that g/d Linota?

Greg

Sounds like almost enough reason to switch from the East Durham class except for missing some old friends. Perhaps I should just arrange for a visit to your neck of the woods off season as it were. You aren't that far away.

Dana

Greg

Sounds like almost enough reason to switch from the East Durham class except for missing some old friends. Perhaps I should just arrange for a visit to your neck of the woods off season as it were. You aren't that far away.

Dana

Dana,

You'd be an esteemed and most welcome guest at the NHICS Midwest or any other occasion of your visit.

Greg

Greg

I'll be there! It's definitely the highlight of my year. Did you ever find a new home for that g/d Linota?

David,

I'll look forward to our walks and talks. I always learn something from you whether I want to or not!! :P

The G/D Linota is staying put for awhile. I will, however, entertain offers on a very nice 40b C/G Linota from the 1920s. Looking forward to seeing you in August.

Greg

Greg

I had attended the MidWest session in 2006 and met you there the night of the evening session for area players. Also attended East Durham in 2008. Both weeks were first rate. Had hoped to get back to MidWest this year, but personal obligations will prevent me from doing so. Will try to get there in 2011 if possible. Best wishes for another enjoyable workshop for you.

I think I attended the first Midwest NH class, back in...was it '98? '99? The year Wally Carroll bought his Linota? I never aspired to play Irish music, but learned a lot from Noel.

About this time each year, I'm getting antsy waiting for the annual NHICS classes to start. And this year is no different. On account of the much shorter drive (350 miles versus over 800 one way), I have been attending the Mid West class. I truly miss a bunch of old friends of the East Coast class but have made a nice batch of new ones in Erlanger. Dana, I for one would be delighted to see you and Becky and your little girl (bet she's grown a lot since last I saw her) if the spirit moves.

What with Wally and the Carroll Concertina shop doings and Greg's incessant CAD and repairs, plus Randall's seemingly bottomless collection of miniatures and such, we have a great time and a delightful assortment of concertinas to view, play and listen to. Now if we could just get the folks to take up the carpet in the "class room" so we'd have a bit more lively acoustics, then it would be grand. So, yes I'll be there. You couldn't keep me away!

Ross Schlabach

Now if we could just get the folks to take up the carpet in the "class room" so we'd have a bit more lively acoustics, then it would be grand.

ross, are you asking us to deface a chapel? i'm in..... :lol:

Edited by david_boveri