quarentine restrictions

I need to find, if possible, an Anglo 30 button concertina that has no organic components but hopefully sounds OK, has anyone any ideas ?

I think you may be really stuck there (see earlier thread on vegetarian concertinas and that was just worrying about the leather in the bellows felt pads and animal glue - you also need a zero wood version!)

Imports of some items to strick places like australia can be arranged if the piece can be officially fumigated - would something like this be possible?

Only other thing that I can think of is one of the midi concertinas - I think there's one version which has plastic molded ends and no bellows at all, but it may only be available as an english concertina. Here's something about it,

Chris

Nominally when you arrive in NZ notices of large fines insist you offer any wood or leather items for inspection by 'biosecurity' who will look for signs of life or suspicious criteria of their own devious devising. In fact having done this quite a few times now I have never seen anyone's shoes being inspected, or handbags, or whatever, and I never offer the concertina that is always with me; and no one has ever complained. People offer the new leathergoods and carved souvenirs they've collected and that's all. The concertina goes through the biosecurity X ray machine with everything else. I don't know what they expect to find in that thing; the amount of stuff and rate of it I don't think they'd spot anything less than a labrador in someone's luggage. More frontier window dressing I suspect...

This is NZ, where officials are usually helpful and do their job politely without throwing their weight arround (It's quite unsettling at first). You might have more trouble elsewhere. But I'd find out a bit more, basically. Do they really stop people wearing leather shoes, for instance? Would they stop someone bringing his guitar?

What and where is the island? I'm intrigued now!

Do they really stop people wearing leather shoes,

...or check you for cotton underwear, wool, what about paper, are there no books, newspapers, tissues, paper bags allowed in?

Imports of some items to strick places like australia can be arranged if the piece can be officially fumigated ....

I wonder how effective fumigation would be on a good concertina, the interior of which is airtight when not in use. :unsure:

Do you know what make the plastic one was with brass reeds ? I would like to find a 30button Anglo if possible. Cheers

It's 20 button only. The quality is OK, plastic is airtight and sturdy.

But I think you worry too much.

What's the island? Where?

Thanks for your reply. The Island is off the West Australian coast and called Barrow it's part of the oil and gas project called Gorgon.

They have 18 animals found no where else on the planet and numerous plants. They also have state of the art monitoring

at the airport, scanners that pick up any organic matter. I work there on, a fly in fly out, basis and cannot leave anything there, so fumigation will not work either. I know it sounds like I am worrying too much but you literally have to shake the lint out of your pockets before boarding the plane.

Do you know what make the plastic one was with brass reeds ? I would like to find a 30button Anglo if possible. Cheers

Sorry can't remember , I sold it on eBay for about £30 I think it was 1980s Hohner or related Italian firm. it was well made and anice tone

Thanks for your reply. The Island is off the West Australian coast and called Barrow it's part of the oil and gas project called Gorgon.

They have 18 animals found no where else on the planet and numerous plants. They also have state of the art monitoring

at the airport, scanners that pick up any organic matter.

Andrew,

I'm an islander too - though Ireland is a rather larger island than Barrow wink.gif

But we do have an insular mentality. We like to keep bad things out ...

I was once flying home to Northern Ireland from Germany, at a time when there was an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the UK. I changed planes in London, but all I saw of England was the endless corridor between international arrivals and domestic departures at Heathrow.

On arrival at Belfast airport, we were met by a cordon of ladies and gentlemen dressed in white coats and black wellington boots - the Ministry of Agriculture! They didn't spot-check - they interviewed everybody. All foodstuffs were confiscated. I had nothing of the sort with me (they fed you even on short flights in those days), but they confiscated the German newspaper that I had been given by Lufthansa on the way to London (and which hadn't seen any more of England than I had).

After this, we had to squelch through an improvised tunnel with rubber matting soaked in disinfectant and filled with a disinfectant mist.

The man I had been chatting with on the flight was an agricultural machinery salesman who had been visiting English customers. He was promptly taken aside by the white coats and wellies. I don't know what became of him. He probably ended up naked under a disinfectant shower, with his clothes in a fumigation cabinet. sad.gif

So it's sometimes OK when the island biologists are more thorough than the Customs!smile.gif

Cheers,

John

I wonder what precautions they're taking to prevent ecological damage from oil spills/leakage.

I wonder what precautions they're taking to prevent ecological damage from oil spills/leakage.

Oh touché : that's close to the bone given recent events, eh? It's funny how we humans can reconcile impossible positions, isn't it!

We'll protect the biological diversity of xyz by examining the contents of peoples pockets ignoring the fact that what we're doing is inherently risky and could wipe out the same wildlife and a whole lot more besides in one stroke. Still, I guess it's better than no environmental protection at all.

Edited by tombilly

Hi Andrew

Nearest I can find is they are trying to prevent an invasive species of plant/animal/insect on the island at any cost. Sounds reasonable to me since they own the land and use it as they see fit. In the US there has been a few problems with such a thing happening such as the Kudzu vine in the South US, the Zebra Mussels and Lamprey Eels in the Great Lakes, the Brown snake on Guam, the pythons in Florida and a few others.

I can't find online any of the rules and regulations, but one of the items that makes me think that your guess about worrying too much is right on, is this article on their airplanes that states: "The interior has been specifically customised, using leather and fabrics and carpets that are less susceptible to holding dirt or seeds or things". Leads me to believe they are looking for something other than "organic things" like dead wood, dead animal skin bellows, etc. I would also think a "plastic concertina" would carry the same risks for their purposes.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201004/s2882714.htm

Since they wrote the rules/regulations, I'd bet money they are the only ones to interpret what they mean. Their "regulation" language has different meanings than the common usage of words. That being so, if it were me, I would ask them directly for clarification if I could take my existing musical instrument with me for personal entertainment and enjoyment for the time I'd be there, and remove it with me when I leave. If I come back, do the same again. Let them inspect it with my personal belongings and maybe pre-approve a procedure to allow it. I would ask far enough in advance so there will be no surprises the day I show up for work. I don't think it's their intent to disallow it, but since they are your employer maybe they are the only ones with the answers.

Thanks

Leo :)