Concertina apps working perfectly on iPad!

I'm curious, will Apple allow you to build apps that work exclusively on the iPad? or all apps have to be "multiplateform" ?

No, you can do iPad-only apps as well as multiplatform.

Michael do you happen to know if Tunebook and Tunepal work on the ipad, I expect they do, but it would be great to know in advance.

I'm curious, will Apple allow you to build apps that work exclusively on the iPad? or all apps have to be "multiplateform" ?

Interesting, you could pretty much have the whole layout of a 30 buttons on the iPad :-)

Michael do you happen to know if Tunebook and Tunepal work on the ipad, I expect they do, but it would be great to know in advance.

Tunebook works fine, I don't have Tunepal to test, but every app I've tried works fine.

Interesting, you could pretty much have the whole layout of a 30 buttons on the iPad :-)

Quite true... ;-)

Submitted to Apple tonight for approval:

"ConcertinaXL" - 30-button Jeffries-style C/G Anglo Concertina for the iPad

http://www.tradlessons.com/ConcertinaXL.html

Going out with $0.99 price for the first few weeks...

Here are some screen shots of the app at the full 1024x768 pixel iPad resolution:

Main screen:

4505290657_065f94b9a7_o.jpg

Note guide (push):

4505290903_3025492256_o.jpg

Note guide (pull):

4505291003_1624b6ff59_o.jpg

While playing:

4505291151_2216b4f62f_o.jpg

Now available only for the iPad on the iTunes App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/concertinaxl-30-button-c-g/id366616314?mt=8

Edited by eskin

Submitted to Apple tonight for approval:

"ConcertinaXL" - 30-button Jeffries-style C/G Anglo Concertina for the iPad

http://www.tradlessons.com/ConcertinaXL.html

This looks great! Can the Hayden 46 be far behind?

However, from the web site:

The Anglo concertina is diatonic, meaning the instrument plays a different note for each button depending on whether you are pushing or pulling on the bellows.

That's not really what "diatonic" means. It means it's arranged to play in traditionally shaped scales (whole steps and half steps in the right places) in one or two keys, rather than equal access to the notes of any key (which would be "chromatic"). It happens that the two generally run hand-in-hand, that instruments that play different notes on push/pull are diatonic and vice versa, which led to the well-established confusion in terminology.

Similarly [opening can of worms], I once heard someone leading a music workshop say that a "modal" tune was one that only had two chords (I and VII, that is, D and C, G and F, or A and G). :ph34r:

Diatonic just means that there are different notes on push vs. pull of the bellows.

No, diatonic means that there are both half-steps and whole-steps in the scale. The opposite of diatonic is chromatic-- a note every half-step.

Diatonic just means that there are different notes on push vs. pull of the bellows.

No, diatonic means that there are both half-steps and whole-steps in the scale. The opposite of diatonic is chromatic-- a note every half-step.

Actually, not only are there both half-steps and whole-steps in the diatonic scale, but they are distributed as a run of three whole steps and a run of two whole steps separated from each other by half steps. Depending where in the sequence you start, you get major, minor, or the other modes.

But the concept of it meaning different notes on push and pull is a misunderstanding.

Or, in other words,

diatonic |ˌdīəˈtänik|

adjective Music

(of a scale, interval, etc.) involving only notes proper to the prevailing key without chromatic alteration.

• (of a melody or harmony) constructed from such a scale.

ORIGIN early 17th cent. (denoting a tetrachord divided into two tones and a lower semitone, or ancient Greek music based on this): from French diatonique, or via late Latin from Greek diatonikos ‘at intervals of a tone,’ from dia ‘through’ + tonos ‘tone.’

I believe the correct term for "different notes on push vs. pull" is bisonoric -- as opposed to unisonoric, meaning the same note.

-- Michael

(Who's happy to remember something from the old rec.music.makers.squeezebox newsgroup.)

• 1 month later...

I am very fond of E-Sharp! ;)

Patrick

I am very fond of E-Sharp! ;)

Patrick

One of those notes that became a lot more useful with the advent of equal temperament. =) Nowadays it blends nicely with C-flat.

Edit: hold that... it's actually best with the elusive C *double flat*-- an endangered species even at its peak.

Edited by Ransom

Definitely, "diatonic" refers to a type of scale. e.g. a harmonica is diatonic because it has all the notes of one scale, and no extras. A melodeon is diatonic because each row has all the notes of a single scale and no extras.

It is often the case that diatonic instruments have a push pull/blow suck layout. This is because they share a common evolution. The single row melodeon is basically a pump action harmonica. The two row melodeon is two singe rows grafted together. The German concertina was a melodeon cut in half and then with each half of the key board at a different end of the bellows. The Anglo is the same idea, but extended to be almost but not quite chromatic.

Bisonoric refers to the fact that you get two sounds from one key/button/air hole. This is the push pull layout often found on diatonic instruments, but it is not what diatonic means.

Strictly, the 30 button Anglo is not a diatonic instrument, but an instrument with two diatonic rows, and an additional row of accidentals.