NEFFA!

So will we have enough squeezers for another c.net gathering and jam at the New England Folk Festival April 24-25?

You can see the kind of mayhem we're likely to commit

, about 4.5 minutes into the video.

I'll be playing Sunday morning with a Northwest Morris team, Saturday with a rapper team, and jamming the rest of the time.

I'll be playing Sunday morning with a Northwest Morris team, Saturday with a rapper team, and jamming the rest of the time.

I'll be dancing and/or playing (not simultaneously) with a Cotswold Morris team on Sunday at noon; we have another gig on Saturday until mid-afternoon, but I'll be around otherwise.

Joshua Mackay-Smith

Me! Me! I've been in Cognito for awhile, but I'm still squeezing and will be spending the weekend at NEFFA and the Red Roof Inn! My Jeffries and me can be spotted Friday night at 8 pm when my husband and I present "Love, Murder and More."

I will also be dancing and playing with the Harrisville Morris Women on Saturday at 11 am.

No concertinas, but on Sunday morning at 11 I'll be leading a singing workshop: Sing for Joy!

It will be good to see those of you who will be there! Let's jam, ok?

Allison

We had decided to try and make it to check it out and maybe play some. I now have a gig that weekend so I will look forward to next year.

rss

Neffa is amazing because of the abundance of high-level contra and EC dancing and the jams everywhere you look. Pick a genre of music, and you can find folks to jam with.

Mark, you coming? And David B?

Neffa is amazing because of the abundance of high-level contra and EC dancing....

English Concertina dancing? Oooh! :D

Can somebody do a video so I can see it?
:unsure:
I'll be at the SSI (Scandinavian Squeeze-In).
:)

Okay, I know you meant English Country Dancing. ;)

But I do remember more than once seeing Alistair Anderson dance a rant as he played it on his EC.

Dancing concertinas, however, I have yet to see.
:(

Neffa is amazing because of the abundance of high-level contra and EC dancing....

But I do remember more than once seeing Alistair Anderson dance a rant as he played it on his EC.

A new challenge, to be sure.

I puzzled over the ECD designation. Is that in widespread use, or is it an americanism?

I've seen fiddlers dance jigs, but at least in the Morris world, concertinists seem pretty rooted to terra firma.

A new challenge, to be sure.

I puzzled over the ECD designation. Is that in widespread use, or is it an americanism?

I seem to recall previous discussions here where it was found that the term may also be used in England, but with a different meaning. I.e., that in the US it is restricted to Playford-style dances, whereas in the UK it includes more modern and stylistically different dances. (You dancers, is that right?)

But my takeoff was really based on your incomplete use of an acronym. "ECD" may be taken as a unit to mean "English Country Dancing", but replacing only part of an acronym with whole words is not normal procedure and is very apt to be misunderstood. In this Forum, e.g., "EC" as a unit is taken to mean "English concertina", hence my joke. Similarly, an "English CD" would be understood by most people to mean an "English compact disc", not an "English country dance". To throw further "light" on the subject, I'll add a couple more examples:

• SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle, but "Sports UV" sounds as if one is using a tanning bed to improve athletic performance
  • IRS = Internal Revenue Service, while "IR Service" might be a service for providing infrared radiation

One should also be careful about building new acronyms. As far as I know, it's not common to refer to Morris dance and "MD" (that's reserved for medical doctors and the state of Mayrland) or Morris and Sword as "M&S". On the other hand, I've often heard that last turned around, as "Sword and Morris", but only to make the deliberate joke that "we do S&M dancing" or "we're into S&M". B)

I've seen fiddlers dance jigs, but at least in the Morris world, concertinists seem pretty rooted to terra firma.

What I have seen a few times is musicians -- with fiddles, melodeons, concertinas, and more -- dancing the figures of Morris sets (without hankies) or contra dances (without taking hands) while playing their instruments. At least once it was an entire Morris set composed of musicians playing away through all the figures and heys. :)

I'll be there. Maybe we can get together afterwards.

Sure. I have no other plans and will be looking for a repeat of what we've done in the past.

My setting seem to still be on standard time, despite the "DST Correction" tick box selected on my settings page. :huh: