30 Button Anglo From Lark In The Morning

Just looking to get everyone's expert advice again.

It's been 3 weeks since I got my 20 button Stagi B1 and I'm already itching to get a 30 button.

I saw a 30 button on Ebay for a good price and I grabbed it up right away. It was a impulse buy and I'm not sure if I got my money's worth.

I did some research and found it's the same 30 button "Bargin" anglo that they sell at Lark In The Morning for $225.

I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like.

I have no idea who made this or if it's a okay instrument or not. Anyone have any experiences with this particular instrument? Good? Bad?

Thanks again! You guys are the best!!!

Sean Kelly

post-4-1084662085.gif

I've played this one. Very similar in sound and construction to a middle-of-the-line Stagi. I was told it was Chinese, but there's no logo. Mine had one reed that was slow to speak on the draw, but maybe that could have been fixed. I think the screws holding on the ends go directly into the wood, there's no metal sleeve, so if you open it up a lot, it may get worn out. If it's well under Lark's price, you probably got a good deal, I think. Even if you get a nice instrument later, you'd have a usable "beater" box to take camping or whatever.

Hey Sean,

I noticed that you're in Beaverton. I'm close by in neighboring Hillsboro. I've just started checking into concertinas (I'm the guy asking questions about the Stagi W-15-LN in another thread), and also noticed that Chinese 30-button Anglo on eBay.

Were you able to find any places in the Portland Oregon area for checking out concertinas? I'd really like to try one out (even a lowly Stagi!) before buying one sight-unseen.

Thanks for you comments,

Bill Erickson

I have no idea who made this or if it's a okay instrument or not.

That certainly seems like a strange instrument..... Is that the treble side you show or the bass side? Seeing the handstrap buckle and what appears to be an air button makes me think that it's the treble side - but then the rows of buttons appear reversed.... If the button pattern is correct then this is the bass side with an extra button and backwards handrest strap?

Also - either that box is very large or the buttons are incredibly close to the handrest. Either way, if that "air button" really is, it seems that it's far position would make playing it with your thumb impossible for anyone I know.

Without knowing more I can't say whether it's "okay" or not, but it certainly LOOKS like poor instrument.

-- Rich --

Were you able to find any places in the Portland Oregon area for checking out concertinas? I'd really like to try one out (even a lowly Stagi!) before buying one sight-unseen.

Thanks for you comments,

Bill Erickson

Hey cool! Hillsboro!!! I'm actually in the Aloha area!

We should hook up some time and jam!

I've checked places like Portland Music and 5 Star and they didn't really have anything. Portland Music had a Hohner D40 or D20 for a while in their rental cabinet but it's gone now. I've been meaning to go down to Apple Music Row or Artichoke Music since they both have bigger selections but havent had the chance to.

Downstairs of Portland Music in Beaverton has a really big section of sheet music. I was quite suprised! You should check it out.

So are you in the market for a first concertina? I have my 20 button Stagi B1 you could try out. I need to sell it already to pay for this Chinese box.

Do you know of any jam sessions or anything concertina related near by? I know that every summer in Newberg there's the Noel Hill school. I'm not enrolled yet. I guess the class is full for people staying there, but people like us who are close by might be able to commute and still join the class. I guess even at a cheaper rate too. :-)

Anyways let me know if you're interested in my Stagi.

Sean

That certainly seems like a strange instrument..... Is that the treble side you show or the bass side? Seeing the handstrap buckle and what appears to be an air button makes me think that it's the treble side - but then the rows of buttons appear reversed.... If the button pattern is correct then this is the bass side with an extra button and backwards handrest strap?

Also - either that box is very large or the buttons are incredibly close to the handrest. Either way, if that "air button" really is, it seems that it's far position would make playing it with your thumb impossible for anyone I know.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out.

That was the picture from Lark In The Morning.

I had to check the actual pictures from Ebay and was relieved to find that the buttons were in the right place with this one. I've attached the Acutal picture of the tina.

You really scared me for a second there. lol!!!!

:unsure: :D :P B) :) :blink: :huh:

Sean Kelly

post-4-1084727378.jpg

The one I've used (which certainly looks the same) has the air button in the usual spot. I didn't notice earlier what looks like an extra button up there, very strange.

The buttons were quite close to the handrests though, a little cramped for me but usable.

Edited by Boney

Yeah, I think the first photo I posted was the model for left handed concertina players with two right hands.

That thumb air button is totally in the wrong place. Really strange. I never noticed that before.

I have huge hands and the 20 button Stagi I have now is a little difficult to reach. I hope this isnt any worse. :-)

Sean

Hallo Sean,

I have gone down a similar path to you, started on a cheap twenty button Anglo Concertina.I found out I loved the instrument and then moved on to a more expensive instrument which met my requirements.My advice to you is that if you love the instrument carry on learning with the box you have,there is some wonderful stuff you can do with twenty buttons and then invest in something much better.I think you are wasting your money thinking about buying another cheap instrument, put it into the kitty and buy something which will be really exciting,I am sure you will not regret it,I never did.

Al

I just found this site and am now entertaining the usual thoughts; do I want to try to learn the concertina, can I afford to get one, so on and so on. So, are the cheap one ones on ebay a complete waste of money? I am not a musician by any means, but my Irish grandfather did play athe concertina! With practice can a non musical blacksmith learn to squeeze out a few tunes? Thanks, David

With practice can a non musical blacksmith learn to squeeze out a few tunes?

Probably. Good thing, too, with chestnut trees on the decline.

... But if not, you could always hook the bellows up to your forge. :)

Sean, you've got the fever. I would like to support Alan's sage advise here. Save yer nickels man! If the anglo system is what scratches your itch, consider two makers right in the United States. Both Mr. Tedrow and Mr. Morse make fine crafted instruments, I mean F-I-N-E! You'll end up paying less than you would for a new Gibson RB 250 and have something that will last you for years.

I sold all my instruments for graduate school twenty years ago (foolish young cracker that I was) and now at 50 (declaring my freedom from convention and rules) have started replacing them. The banjo wasn't so hard to replace, but the Wheatsone...impossible. However, after a bit of research, I took the plunge and ordered an Albion (English system and my addiction) from Mr. Morse. Wonderful instrument, beautiful tone, lighting fast action. "I was lost but now am found!"

Friend of mine came over last night. He plays a mean melodic banjo. Banjo and concertina duets for hours and we flew like the wind. Heaven!

Learn everything you can on that Stagi. Just wait and save.

I would like to support Alan's sage advise here. Save yer nickels man! If the anglo system is what scratches your itch, consider two makers right in the United States. Both Mr. Tedrow and Mr. Morse make fine crafted instruments, I mean F-I-N-E! You'll end up paying less than you would for a new Gibson RB 250 and have something that will last you for years.

I'm selling my Stagi B1 to pay for the Chinese 30 button. I figure the Chinese couldn't be any worse off from the Stagi. My Stagi drives me crazy with the common sticky buttons. According to the guy who I bought it from says that this one doesnt seem to have that problem. So my theory is it's better to learn on a 30 button than a sticky 20 button.

I am definately saving my pennies for a Tedrow. I've heard some wonderful things about his instruments. Maybe after I graduate truck driving school and get my new job....

We'll see! :-)

Sean Kelly

You won't be sorry Sean. Not being a Anglo player myself it was like I had oven mitts on when I tried out a Tedrow, but lord have mercy, they are well made and eazy on the eye...and the tone!

Tractor-Trailer driver are ya? Very good. Friend of mine here who plays banjo and stand-up bass drives a long-nose Pete and has limited his hauls to our 3 state area only so he could have more time to fool around with local gigs.

Bluegrass Joke:

How do you make a million dollars playin' Bluegrass music?

Start out with two million!

Enjoy your 30 button Sean. It is a joy to sense your joy and enthusiasm for music makin'.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it finally came and yes I think I made a mistake.

It sounds really strange, like I'm in a tin can. The buttons are really small and the row closest to the hand rest are next to impossible to hit (doesn't help that I have big hands).

The buttons don't stick like my stagi which is a plus and it looks pretty cool being all black and all.

It came with a hard case which is really nice. I think the case was made for a different tina cause this Chinese one barely fits and you have to pull the case to put it in (and it's next to impossible to take out). But my Stagi fit's in the case perfectly.

NOTE TO OTHER NEWBIES:

Listen to everyone on here! When they tell you that something is a big mistake, take their advice. They know what they are talking about!

Save your money and buy something nice, otherwise you'll be stuck with a crappy instrument that you can't play. :-)

I don't regret my Stagi though. It's become my best friend! Don't tell my wife but I think I'm falling in love... lol :lol: :D :P ;) :) :blink: :unsure:

peace,

Sean Kelly

Hey Sean,

Make yourself feel better. Consider you bought your new concertina to get the cool case. The crummy instrument was just extra. Now you have a nice hard case for your Stagi.

We've all bought something that was a mistake. At least you got something good out of it.

Helen