Therapeutic Powers Of The Concertina

... simple tunes but somehow you do not want to stop playing them.Breton music seems to be similar ,you cannot get off them once you start ...

I have a newly acquired Cornish tune (in 5/8 with a variation in 3/4) which is rather like that. Goes round and round, in this or that time, and just doesn't want to stop :unsure: ...

Samantha

;) Well great, are any of you ever going to say the name of the book? Now I want to play some of these tunes and I thought this might be a good book to use. That is if I ever knew the name of this good book!

Good for you, Rhomylly, for sticking with a new instrument. This is fun, we are watching you fall in love with your instrument. I'm not all that far ahead of you in taking up the concertina, so I'm loving you loving your concertina. Well, probably most days you love it.

I shamefully must confess that the book has a grand total of ONE tune in it -- The Abbots Bromley Tune. Also referred to the Royal Albert Horn Dance Tune.

The book is about 70 pages or so, a compilation of the results of a survey I conducted in 1995 (or thereabouts) with Morris and other English ritual dance teams in the United States and Revels companies about how they did Abbots Bromley Horn Dance, where they learned it, their thoughts and favorite stories about the dance, etc. With pictures of some of the teams that performed it at that time.

It's called: Links in a Thousand-Year-Old Chain: The Abbots Bromley Horn Dance in America.

None of which, of course, has a THING to do with the therapeutic benefits of taking up the concertina.

I'm wondering if there may be a physical therapy benefit as well? As a full-time office person and evening and weekend writer, I panic when I get carpal tunnel twingys. I'm hoping the hand stretching and forearm muscle build-up I'm getting (based on the soreness factor) will help stave of carpal tunnel.

Or is it folks' experience that playing concertina makes it worse?

While I can't say that concertina playing is therapy for me, I can state that music, for me and many friends, is very much so.

For the past twenty years an ever growing and changing group of us have gathered on late Friday afternoons for a four+ hour music session. Its a mix of tunes and songs, sometimes full ensemble, full chorus, other times a solo instrumental or ballad. Most often the pieces chosen are selected to make for the fullest participation.

The instruments are many and varied; concertinas, both Anglo and English, guitars, 4 and 5 string banjos, mandolins, octave mandolins, flutes, whistles, hammered dulcimer, celtic harp, bodhrans, bones, button accordion, piano accordion, shuttle pipes, and sometimes a standup bass.

Our ages run from 15 to 70 years and have never been a barrier. In fact it is good to have more younger folk coming as somebody has to be learning the songs and tunes for future generations.

Together we sing away the week's troubles, reel in the hardships, haul up birthday greetings, or just waltz around the mysteries of life.

If you're ever near coastal New Hampshire on a Friday, come join us -- Tom

Rhomylly, re carpal tunnel:

I'm hoping the hand stretching and forearm muscle build-up I'm getting (based on the soreness factor) will help stave of carpal tunnel. Or is it folks' experience that playing concertina makes it worse?

Depends on the folk. Some seem to think it helps, other that it's a danger. I suspect that both position and flexibility are factors as great as stretching and strength. With all my various keyboards -- computer and concertina -- I've never experiencenced a problem. My dad got carpal tunnel after he retired... from gardening.

Oh, yeah. I guess if this subtopic is going to continue, it should move to the Ergonomics and whatever Forum, though from personal experience I have an aversion to the word "ergonomic".

after he retired... from gardening.

...meaning, he retired from gardening, or he did some gardening after he retired? (Just wondering...)

The latter. He opened up a small nursery business, raising and selling flowering perennials. He had previously been an electrical engineer.

He never played the concertina, though.