Stunning Looking Wheatsone On Ebay

Lester Bailey

There is a stunning looking 72 button 5 octave Wheatstone Aeola. Made out of Amboyna wood with Gold keys and brown leather bellows for sale on Ebay

And brass reeds. Interesting.

Well, I think it's time to sell the car.

(You think I'm kidding?)

That sure is pretty! Is the wood piece on the bottom of the right side end some sort of wrist/hand support? Perhaps just the right end because the left would normally be resting on the knee?

bruce boysen

Is the wood piece on the bottom of the right side end some sort of wrist/hand support?

Doesn't look to me like it would reasonably perform that role. If nothing else, it looks too far away from the thumb loop. Also, I think it's quite the wrong shape.

Instead, I wonder if it might be for mounting a little lyre to hold printed music. Especially if it's a Salvation Army instrument.

There is a stunning looking 72 button 5 octave Wheatstone Aeola. Made out of Amboyna wood with Gold keys and brown leather bellows for sale on Ebay

I'm sure that I have seen this instrument before, about 15 or 20 years ago, at the Hobgoblin shop in Crawley. If it is indeed the same one (and I don't suppose that there is a twin of this one out there ?), then the reedpans are screwed to the keyboards, for extra stability.

And brass reeds.  Interesting.

It would not be the only aeola that I have heard of with brass reeds, it seems to have been an option for those (usually missionaries) wanting to take their concertina to a very humid climate, and you would be amazed just how good brass reeds can be (if you are paying aeola prices to have them made !).

I believe Rich Morse sold one recently too.

Well, I think it's time to sell the car.

(You think I'm kidding?)

No, I don't. But I have had to (reluctantly) do the opposite on occasion, when I badly needed a car. There is a friend of mine who now owns two superb aeolas ... (but I don't have the cars any longer).

It would not be the only aeola that I have heard of with brass reeds, it seems to have been an option for those (usually missionaries) wanting to take their concertina to a very humid climate,....

I believe Rich Morse sold one recently too.

I think Ken reported that.

But I've since been told that it was sent off on approval, but was returned.

So now it is back at The Button Box, and the price has been slightly reduced.

As usual, Jim has analyzed this exactly. When a box vanishes from the BB inventory (which I seem to see about every two weeks lately - how fun that is for a player of few means!), I assume it is sold. And it wasn't at the NEFFA show a week ago, IIRC. But it is back now.

BTW, Mike Eichner, who is evidently the seller, has a parallel notice here on our own (old) Buy and Sell page Here. Says he'll part trade for an anglo. Does that help you car owners?

Well, it turns out that -- as I suspected -- this lovely instrument is pitched aobut 1/4 tone above A440, presumably Salvation Army standard.

I cringe when I think that somebody might get it and then pay a fortune to retune 144 reeds to A440.

On an instrument like this, I would consider that about like putting new varnish a Stradivarius.