Beginner Tutor Book/cd - recommend?

jimbo77

Hi all.

Thanks for the info about picking up this instrument!

I made the plunge (maybe not as deep as some, haha) and got an Anglo 30 Button on the way... did I mention I'm terribly impatient (I know, not the best quality for learning a new instrument...)

Anyway, I've been reading reviews, lists, youtube, store lists, etc.... TRYING to find a clearly good "just starting" Tutor package for this Tina.

Many do not say if they are English or Anglo, some don't say if they are 20 or 30 button, and MAny use standard Musical Notation.

I NEED SOMETHING THAT USES TAB OR DIAGRAMS..... I CAN'T READ STANDARD MUSICAL NOTATION.

Also, My goal is to play Scottish Airs (with drone), Irish and Klezmer. That's the interest. Don't know if there's a beginner guide for the Tina that specializes in this kind of music.

Could folks point me in the right direction?

THANK YOU ! Post, email or PM

kindest regards,

jim

Hi all.

Thanks for the info about picking up this instrument!

I made the plunge (maybe not as deep as some, haha) and got an Anglo 30 Button on the way... did I mention I'm terribly impatient (I know, not the best quality for learning a new instrument...)

Anyway, I've been reading reviews, lists, youtube, store lists, etc.... TRYING to find a clearly good "just starting" Tutor package for this Tina.

Many do not say if they are English or Anglo, some don't say if they are 20 or 30 button, and MAny use standard Musical Notation.

I NEED SOMETHING THAT USES TAB OR DIAGRAMS..... I CAN'T READ STANDARD MUSICAL NOTATION.

Also, My goal is to play Scottish Airs (with drone), Irish and Klezmer. That's the interest. Don't know if there's a beginner guide for the Tina that specializes in this kind of music.

Could folks point me in the right direction?

THANK YOU ! Post, email or PM

kindest regards,

jim

Bertram Levy's "Anglo Concertina Demystified" is good, and comes with a CD. Gives you a good grounding in what is possible on a 30 button, and a fair range of types of tunes. Music is in tab and standard notation. You can order it from Button Box.

P.S. Don't know if you've sealed the deal, but there is a Rochelle that comes with a tutor on Buy & Sell for $275.

Edited by Bill N

Hi THANKS

I downloaded the Day's mp3s, but the text is standard musical notation, so can't do too much there... I really need TAB 8(

Hi Jimbo

I don't think there is a such of thing called tab for these kinds of concertina. At least I've never come across one. You might have to learn the notes or invent one.

There might be something in these two links that will help:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7850

http://www.concertina.com/merris/minasi-german-tutor-1846/minasi-german-tutor-1846.pdf

Thanks

Leo

Mick Bramich has a tutor for a 20 button concertina that uses tab, but introduces standard notation at the end. I found the tab was hard to use. You had to read 3 pieces of information for each note - which button, which bellows direction (in or out)and the length of the note. If you can read standard notation, the button and bellows direction will come automatically, with practice! The length of the note is included in the same dot.

This tutor might be a good place to start, but I would really recommend trying to learn the dots. It opens up loads more possibilities. Of course, you could try learning by ear, but that's another topic.

Nigel

Priscilla, who reports that she started out hardly reading music, has been down a similar path and reports her experiences with several tutors that use a tab system (with or without notation) in some recent threads her. Later I'll see if I can dig them up to link here.

Ken

Ken- thanks, that would be helpful.

The old Carlo Minasi pdf from 1905 linked above is pretty cool - in that it uses music notation, but then has, like 4p or 3d for Button and draw or push. LEarn music at the same time as being able to jump into playing with a type of Tab.

jim

Priscilla, who reports that she started out hardly reading music, has been down a similar path and reports her experiences with several tutors that use a tab system (with or without notation) in some recent threads her.

I think the important point here is that while there are a number of books with pictorial methods for representing the buttons on an anglo concertina, none of them are widely accepted, or even widely known. If you depend on these "tabs" for playing tunes, you'll probably have to learn a completely new system each time you get a new tutor book. What's more, if the layout of the concertina represented in the book is different from that of your own instrument ("Wheatstone layout" vs. "Jeffries layout" is the best known difference, and it involves several buttons) would mean that you would have to memorize seemingly random departures from the "tab".

This may be one reason why most books for anglo which do use little icons or a button-number notation also show the music in standard notation. Their "tab" can help you to learn to read "the dots", where your brain learns which dots on the page correspond to which buttons and bellows directions. Then in the next book, you can just read the dots -- which always mean the same thing, -- rather than having to learn a completely new symbol system. (This can be especially significant with "tab" notations which employ numbers to represent the buttons, because there are several different, yet equally reasonable, systems for numbering the buttons.)

hi jim

yes, i should qualify my request ---- something that uses "a form of" Tab in Connection with musical notation so I can play out the box, but also be learning music reading at the same time.

that is the best.

i do want to avoid any that are purely music notation though, for the time being.

ALSO--- some folks have recommended the Mick Bramich sets, BUT I just discovered, they use the Jeffries layout, and my tina is a Wheatstone ... Does this make a difference (how so, or not?) THANKS

kindest

jim

Edited by jimbo77