Lachenal No48499

geobrit1

If it is a Lachenal English concertina (most likely with 48 keys) then the serial number 48499 would put its date of manufacture well into the 20th century, somewhere around 1912, give or take a couple of years.

Edited by Theo

If it is a Lachenal English concertina (most likely with 48 keys) then the serial number 48499 would put its date of manufacture well into the 20th century, somewhere around 1912, give or take a couple of years.

I had a copy of page entry from a girl i knew who worked in a music museum in oxford,she sent me this reiept a few years back, i have mislaid it and no longer have her contact details,but i am sure it was 1890,s maybe late 90,s i will search again for this and post it.

thanks for your comment

regards

george

Lachenal used one series of numbers and a separate series for English concertinas. A Lachenal anglo numbered 48499 might be from the 1890s more like 1878. There is a summary of dates here: http://www.concertina.net/wes_williams_dating.html

Edited by Theo

hi whats it worth ?

Hallo George; that's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, impossible to answer without details. Post some pictures and ask again; preferably having double checked the number as well.

Lachenals (like other makers) made different models of concertina. Some are worth a few hundred, a few (not usually 48 key ones, don't get your hopes up) might get into the thousands and this is before you consider condition. Very few instruments are so bad they have to be scrapped but repairs can mount up. So, pictures please.

here are some photos,hope this helps with valuation,i can open end and take more pics if anyone is interested please let me know ?

regards

george

Is this enough,photos and any idea what its worth ?

Chris Algar of Barleycorn recently listed a similar Lachenal Paragon on eBay for 900 GBP. His was restored to playable condition, but it had no bids when the listing ended. So, maybe 500 GBP ?

here are some photos,hope this helps with valuation,i can open end and take more pics if anyone is interested please let me know ?

regards

george

Chris Algar of Barleycorn recently listed a similar Lachenal Paragon on eBay for 900 GBP. His was restored to playable condition, but it had no bids when the listing ended. So, maybe 500 GBP ?

Sounds plausible to me. Value might be a little higher if your concertina is in modern pitch (A=440). Here is a link to that Barleycorn eBay listing.

Hi I have a Lachenal concertina No48499,it has 48 metal keys with hex wooden case 5 bellows,ive had it 14 year i got it from my late uncles estate,who i belive got it around about 1940 or before,

George:

If this has been in your family for over 70 years then (if it were me) I would pay to have it restored to playable condition and either learn to play it myself or pass it on to another family member who is musically inclined. A family legacy must be worth more than 500 GBP or so.

Old concertinas may be considered museum pieces, I suppose, but they should really be considered as musical instruments and used as such. They do not belong on a curio shelf or in an antique shop.

Just sayin'.

Don.

regards

george

Sounds plausible to me. Value might be a little higher if your concertina is in modern pitch (A=440). Here is a link to that Barleycorn eBay listing.

Hi I have a Lachenal concertina No48499,it has 48 metal keys with hex wooden case 5 bellows,ive had it 14 year i got it from my late uncles estate,who i belive got it around about 1940 or before,

George:

If this has been in your family for over 70 years then (if it were me) I would pay to have it restored to playable condition and either learn to play it myself or pass it on to another family member who is musically inclined. A family legacy must be worth more than 500 GBP or so.

Old concertinas may be considered museum pieces, I suppose, but they should really be considered as musical instruments and used as such. They do not belong on a curio shelf or in an antique shop.

Just sayin'.

Don.

I get were your coming from but,I am not reallu interested in ;earning to play it or any other member of my family, its lying in my wardrobe and nobody enjoying it, i thought £500 + it was worth?

it sounds ok to me no sticking keys and if you press each key you get sound on each one.Still not sure what to do? certainly dont want to give it away

In my opinion it's up to you whether to sell it. You have a few options:

• try to sell it here
  • put in on eBay
  • offer it to a dealer for them to buy it from you outright or try to sell for you on consignment. Your best bet for a relatively large-scale dealer is probably Chris Algar at Barleycorn Concertinas. Another UK possibility is Theo Gibb at The Box Place who is active here at concertina.net.