Nickolds Or ?

wes

Calling all you experts, please. Recently rebuilt an old girl from no doubt the late 1800's. No makers mark and the buyer thought perhaps it was a Nickolds. It has a riveted action, arms are round and flattened at the pivot point. Air pad is large and round. Reeds are steel in brass frames and they look the same as any Lachenal or like. The only mark is the number stamped in the frame work of 0045. Pitch is high 447? I left it that way and its got a great old sound. hope you all can shed some light..

post-486-0-43776200-1394312831_thumb.jpg

post-486-0-72457800-1394312993_thumb.jpg

post-486-0-49544100-1394313170_thumb.jpg

post-486-0-51591400-1394313214_thumb.jpg

Wes

The fretwork looks a bit like a Nickolds and certainly like a 20 key Nickolds (badged as J Russell) which I restored recently (although "yours" has finer fretwork) but I've a feeling that Jones used this kind of fretwork too - I can't bring the pictures up at the moment.

Alex West

Looks very much like a Jones. Nickolds typically had a "G" shaped pivot which was of the hook and arm type. The action arm pivots seen through the fret work appear to be a rivet action more common to Jones. Close up pics of the action arm pivot will give us more definitive clues.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Looks very much like a Jones. Nickolds typically had a "G" shaped pivot which was of the hook and arm type. The action arm pivots seen through the fret work appear to be a rivet action more common to Jones.

I'd certainly associate that style of fretwork, the gold-tooling design and those papers, with George Jones.

Thank you for your expertise. It sounds like it surely is a Jones. I've only seen one of those and not up close. As i mentioned above, it has round (rod) action arms and they are steel. The rivet is brass as is the post. It has one steel screw thru the action plate that screws into the handbar holding the fretwork cover to the plate. On closer inspection, the serial # looks to be 6025, not 0025. Any thoughts on a birthdate?

Wes,

Jones Riveted pivots have a fairly distinctive shape, I guess a bit like a symbolic wheat sheaf with a rounded top profile, see concertina Museum ref C331 for a photograph..

The same site has Nickold concertinas and photos of their actions as well. D 279 has a very similar end fretting, but not a riveted action

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

I had forgotten the shape of the pivot. Taking off the action cover to post another shot here and what do you know...the 'wheat-sheaf' pivot! So it must be a Jones, unless the Nickolds works purchased some Jones pivots along the way... ha. I must be slipping, the serial # is 6045 not 6025. still wondering if anyone would hazard a guess as to a date. Thanks all of you! post-486-0-82724700-1394822656_thumb.jpg