Miniature Wheatstone Back On Ebay

Geraghty

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-MINI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I remember this thing on ebay last year, I couldn't afford it then, but it's not stopping me from trying again this year! With 7 bids after two hours of being listed, though, I think my chances are slim.

Looks to be an English, and it's in the Wheatstone ledgers as a 12 button from 1953:

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD03/PAGES/D3P0660S.HTM

Anyone know any more about it?

Edited by Geraghty

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-MINI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I remember this thing on ebay last year, I couldn't afford it then, but it's not stopping me from trying again this year! With 7 bids after two hours of being listed, though, I think my chances are slim.

Looks to be an English, and it's in the Wheatstone ledgers as a 12 button from 1953:

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD03/PAGES/D3P0660S.HTM

Anyone know any more about it?

Hi Elizabeth,

I don't know about this specific instrument, but I bought a slightly later one, in 1992, for £375. Unfortunately, it inflamed my damaged wrist tendon problem, so I sold it 6 months later, without losing money.

The quality of this one looks exactly the same as the one which I owned. I'll keep fingers crossed that the vendor has set a low reserve, and that yours is the highest bid.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for the crossed fingers! The vendor hasn't set a reserve for this one, so if a miracle happened I could actually get it with my current bid. But the last time one of these came up, I had to bow out when it suddenly shot past £600 on the final evening of the auction.

I prefer Anglos, so at least it wouldn't be *too* crushing a blow to not get it.

Wheatstone miniatures have consistantly sold on ebay for $1500. to $2100. (800 to 1200 GBP) the past several years.

I wonder if it might be worth it to try and get together with the seller? Sometimes cash in hand will win the day at a bit of a lower price.

Greg

PS. Do you presently have a mini? It might be worth the trip to experience the (high) sound which not everyone loves, and appreciate the necessary specialized approach to holding one while playing. Again, not everyones cup of tea.

I wonder if it might be worth it to try and get together with the seller? Sometimes cash in hand will win the day at a bit of a lower price.

Yes, though that's frowned upon in ebay once the auction's started. I can't afford to give what I know it's worth anyway. I do have a mini, but a German one on the large side of mini-ness at 4-1/4 inches. I love it. :)

Perhaps an advert in your area newspaper could bring a mini at the price you want.

My caution about learning to grip a 3" or less concertina without handstraps is borne from experience.

There are ways around that problem and Noel Hill and Goran Rahm have devoped some clever methods.

Best of luck in your search.

Greg

Well, I wrote the seller asking about its condition and the key or what notes it plays and got a message back saying "it is in perfect order" but nothing about its key. I also note that the auction says it's in unused condition, that's a neat trick for a Wheatstone!

Is it possible this miniature is an Anglo?

No.

Nor a duet.

Model M1 is a 12-button English.

Also, the button arrangement is right for an English, not for the others.

That is what I thought from comparing it to photos of other miniatures. But I am a bit confused because the seller says that it plays different notes on the push and pull?

Richard

In revisiting Morganna's lovely miniature concertina website I was reminded that Anthony James is making a true mini sized anglo concertina (with accordion reeds) for about 600 GBP.

http://www.apjmusic.co.uk/

Another possibility might be Bob Tedrow's concertini. I'm not sure on the price or size.

Good hunting!

Greg

PS. Here is a link to Morganna's site: http://ptollemy.tripod.com/mini/mini.html

Have fun!

Edited to add a link to Morganna's mini concertina site.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Hello

Yes, Stephen,

I sent two e mails to the seller asking about the ol' push and pull. In the first response he said

"ive tried it and the note seems to change on the push and pull of the bellows "

and then I wrote him back and asked for less vagueness. and he responded..

."yes the note definately does change when i push and pull"

So that is the narrative up till now. The instrument sure does look like other identified as English.

Richard

I sent two e mails to the seller asking about the ol' push and pull. ... and he responded..

."yes the note definately does change when i push and pull"

So that is the narrative up till now. The instrument sure does look like other identified as English.

I can think of two "reasonable" possibilities:

1) Some reeds are out of tune. (Does the seller know enough about music to tell the difference between a 10-cent change in the note and a completely different note of the scale?)

Of course, there could be various causes of out-ot-tune reeds, including rust and mechanical damage.

2) Somebody has mucked around inside and rearranged the reeds.

I don't think the seller knows enough about music to be able to help much...I wrote again to ask about the key or notes played and got this response:

"i know nothing about concertinas .i should have researched this piece before i put it on ebay i apologise for that .i thought concertinas were all the same obviously i was mistaken .i wouldnt know how to describe the notes it plays .all i can say is it is in perfect working order and if your near to me your welcome to view it before the sale finishes"

It's very hard for me to get to places outside London so I've asked him exactly where he is, in order to figure out how difficult public transport would be. A visit to Andrew Norman fell through last month due to unavailability of transport.. :(

Edited to add...about an hour to get there from work and 90 minutes to get home again. I'm going to see if he can let me come see it Thursday or Friday evening. I'm very curious about the "different notes push and pull" thing. I wonder if he'd let me open it up!

Edited by Geraghty

I sent two e mails to the seller asking about the ol' push and pull. ... and he responded.. ."yes the note definately does change when i push and pull"

I can think of two "reasonable" possibilities:

1) Some reeds are out of tune. ...

2) Somebody has mucked around inside and rearranged the reeds.

Or the seller is so tone deaf that they hear the difference in tone between press and draw reeds as "changing notes"? :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers