Drudwen

Hi there.

I am in the process of choosing my first concertina, English system. Amongst the many that I have looked at, my local music shop is offering me a 48 key Drudwen at just a little more cost than a Jackie/Jack. I have been unable to find any independent information about Drudwen and am wondering whether anyone knows anything about them? (German made reeds apparently) The Concertina Connection instruments seem to come up regularly as recommended for a beginner - although I am a competent musician in other spheres, this is a bit of a minefield and I would appreciate any help in making a choice. I am in the UK by the way. Many thanks

From a point of view of ecconomics ; buy a vintage instrument... Wheatstone or Lachenal etc... Reason? Because they hold their value... "the day you buy is the day you sell".

From the standpoint of playability; buy a vintage instrument... the superior quality both of sound and action... the longevity and repairablility....

You are in the UK; plenty available!

This pertains to the English... if you choose Anglo then the case may differ.

Sorry never heard of Drudwen.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Geoff, thanks for that, my suspicion is that the Drudwen is a spot of 'badge engineering' from the likes of Stagi et al. Vintage worries me because I have no experience with concertinas and no-one that I know plays one - part of the reason for taking it up! I fear buying myself a problem, especially when you see the range of prices of Lachenals for instance - is it a bargain or a dud? At least new the outcome is dependable even if not the best. Ho-hum; nothing can be simple. Thanks.

I am in the process of choosing my first concertina, English system. Amongst the many that I have looked at, my local music shop is offering me a 48 key Drudwen at just a little more cost than a Jackie/Jack. I have been unable to find any independent information about Drudwen and am wondering whether anyone knows anything about them? (German made reeds apparently) The Concertina Connection instruments seem to come up regularly as recommended for a beginner - although I am a competent musician in other spheres, this is a bit of a minefield and I would appreciate any help in making a choice.

I don't believe I've ever heard of Drudwen (which happens to be a Welsh name). Via Google, I find two places advertising them for sale: Biggars in Glasgow (is that your local?) and Red Cow Music in York. Interestingly, they both list the instrument at £419, reduced from £499.

Hi Geoff, thanks for that, my suspicion is that the Drudwen is a spot of 'badge engineering' from the likes of Stagi et al. Vintage worries me because I have no experience with concertinas and no-one that I know plays one - part of the reason for taking it up! I fear buying myself a problem, especially when you see the range of prices of Lachenals for instance - is it a bargain or a dud? At least new the outcome is dependable even if not the best. Ho-hum; nothing can be simple.

I know there are at least two players of the English concertina in Glasgow -- one of them a member here, -- and you live only 10 miles away. I'll ask if he'd be willing to help you.

Or contact Chris Algar (Barleycorn Concertinas). He has the widest selection of vintage concertinas, reasonable prices, and won't try to sell you something that doesn't suit you. You might even consider paying him a visit, though he's about 150 miles away. That way you could try the various instruments he has to offer.

I can't say I'd ever heard of these before - but the Welsh name, and the style of the label in the photo (confirmed by making out the firm's name on it), made me think of Sutherland Trading in Bedwas, Wales.

They already marketed the Cerreg Las (mahogany-ended) and Bran Wen (metal-ended) Chinese-made Anglo concertinas a few years ago, and this appears to be a new English system model of similar (beginner's) quality to the Cerreg Las Anglo.

I had a long chat with Chris this morning at Barleycorn as a result of which I have bought a Lachenal - many thanks to you all for your input, it has been very helpful and put me on the right track - I am grateful.

I had a long chat with Chris this morning at Barleycorn as a result of which I have bought a Lachenal - many thanks to you all for your input, it has been very helpful and put me on the right track - I am grateful.

Congratulations and good luck with your music.