Wheatstone Anglo On Ebay

JimLucas

This instrument is said to have serial no. 53061, a number not covered in the ledgers published by the Horniman, and the seller says, "... by all reckoning it was made in about 1947." I wonder what "reckoning" was used.

As I recall, this isn't the first instrument with a serial number indicating a missing ledger covering SN's approximately 50,000-55,000. Is it a new data point, or one that was already known?

This looks very much like the standard late 30 key Wheatstone anglo with no drone button on the left hand end and coarse fretwork.The reed pans are therefore likely to be the abbrevated type with the reed plates screwed to the pan rather than slotted.I previously owned a metal ended concertina of this type and found it very playable.There was some discussion about these instruments on concertina.net some years back and there is an article somewhere on concertina.net or a linked page.But I'm sure you are fully aware of this.

The dating article is Wheatstone Anglos, numbers 50,000+ by Bob Gaskins, but it suggests a date of 1948-50 for Anglos 52217 - 53688, in which case I would expect no. 53061 to still have traditional slotted-in reeds.

I have 57xxx (I'm not at home, I can't rememer that last hree digits).

It has slotted-in reeds even though it's later than you might expect for this type of construction. They're alumin(i)um rather than brass which makes it a light instrument even with 40 buttons.

Howard Mitchell

I was interested in this concertina, I was sad to see it go. I was surprised at it going at $3700, but then the buyer looks a little suspect. The seller told me the instrument did at one point come from South Africa.

The seller did send me pictures of the reed pan, and the reeds do look aluminum instead of brass. I'm not too sure what slotted-in reeds are, and for the sake of educating myself would like to know the difference.

Kim

Here are the pictures of the reed pan of one side.  So are these slotted-in? :huh:

I'm surprised to see that no, they are not. Those are the cheaper construction, with the reeds clipped onto the reedpan, but I didn't think they were doing that by 1950 :blink: .

In that case, the Irish buyer has bid a very high price for it. :(

I wonder if the ends have been painted black ? :huh: