My latest squeeze

SteveS

As I promised Dick (Ptarmigan) the other day, I'm posting some pics of my latest concertina acquisition.

This is Wheatstone Aeola Baritone, 60 keys, serial number 25873 from January 1913.

It's pretty much in original condition - no wear at all to the plating, no damage to woodwork around the bold heads, no burring to the bolt heads from a poorly fitting screwdriver, no wear to buttons, and minimal wear to the thumbstraps. Bellows are in excellent condition, the 'tina is very air tight, and still has the original valves and pads.

It is tuned in philharmonic pitch typical of the age, although some of the lower pitched reeds do suffer from some surface rust causing them to warble or not sound at all when played. I have not started the restoration of this box, and from what I can tell from its present state, the action is very fast and smooth, and the reeds speak very fast.

It comes in its original case, which still has a working lock, and hand strap and buckle.

The pictures of the box as it is today and without any restoration work on it whatsoever. The metal ends are dirty, probably dried on skin oil, dirt and some oxidisation. The hand straps are dry, and could benefit from some leather treatment. Thumbstraps are also in good condition, and from them it seems that the action boxes have never been opened.

There is a little provenance with this instrument. There is a name and address written in pencil inside:

James Hadwen

43 ...... Road (illegible road name)

Barnsley

and a previous address in Sheffield. Would be nice to identify who this individual was, and possibly when he owned this 'tina.

My plan is initially do the minimal restoration work on this box and to get it playing again - clean and polish the ends and buttons, treat the hand straps, replace tired valves as necessary, clean up the rusty reeds and tune as necessary, leave the original pads (they seem in great condition and no obvious sign of having been eaten by the concertina bug). Initially I plan to leave it in philharmonic pitch (depending on the results of removing rust from the low pitch reeds), and then decide about a full retune later. Once playing again, I plan to use this as my main box for song accompaniment.

Steve

post-1950-1252431711_thumb.jpg

I am curios about your baritone's compass, Steve. What is the lowest note and what is the highest note? Does it run from G, lowest note, to A, highest note, i.e. 4 and a bit octaves? 60 key baritones are not very common, I would guess.

Chris

Chris

That's right - lowest is G on right and highest is A on left (lower middle row).

Also forgot to mention, 7 fold bellows.

I've seen only a few similar 60 key baritones in the ledgers.

Steve

I am curios about your baritone's compass, Steve. What is the lowest note and what is the highest note? Does it run from G, lowest note, to A, highest note, i.e. 4 and a bit octaves? 60 key baritones are not very common, I would guess.

Chris

Chris

That's right - lowest is G on right and highest is A on left (lower middle row).

Also forgot to mention, 7 fold bellows.

I've seen only a few similar 60 key baritones in the ledgers.

Steve

So, almost a baritone-treble but not quite; 4 buttons short. It does look nice. :)

Chris

Thanks very much for posting the photos Steve, it looks fantastic!

Speaking of Baritone Trebles, I know michaelpier picked up one of those, just before I got my Baritone.

Isn't it great to know that those big beasties are still out there and as in this case, are in such great shape, after all these years.

Looking forward to hearing your Baritone on a YouTube now, Steve. ;)

Cheers

Dick

It truly is a great box, and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm looking forward to getting it playing again, but I'm frustrated right now by the demands of work :( so can't spend any time on it, or even much playing right now :(

Yes Dick, it's great to think that such gems can still be found out there. One never knows just what will turn up.

Steve