Learning opportunities in USA

jeffn

Hello,

I am a recent subscriber to this site and a fairly new concertina player. I "play" a 20-button Anglo C/G, or perhaps it would be better to say that I'm learning to play it -- on my own. I think a workshop or such would help me, and so I wonder what opportunities there are for learning here in the States. Can anyone give me a brief rundown on annual workshop/festival/classes and the time of year in which they take place? Thanks in advance for your help. I also play hammered dulcimer, and I've been surprised at how my learning on dulcimer has been applicable to the concertina, especially with regard to duplicated notes.

Jeff

Thanks Leo, beat me to it. If you fish around on the static side of C.net (start at the home page and try all those links), you'll find all sorts of odds and ends there (I know, I can see the directory listing on the server!).

Ken

Jeff,

Best of luck on your concertina journey! Watching , listening, playing and exchanging questions and answers with other concertina players may be the best way to learn. If you are inclined toward Irish Trad and depending on what part of Iowa you live in, John Williams in Chicago may be a resource. Dave Boveri is also close to Chicago and Steve Maurice is in Iowa. Both are experienced Irish players and members of this forum.

If it isn't possible to immediately hook up with live players there are also some watching opportunities on You Tube of different concertina styles.

Enjoy the adventure!

Greg

Thanks much, guys!

The listing is just what I was hoping for. Perhaps I can plan a vacation next year around one of those events.

Rod, thanks for the note about the squeeze-in later this month. Sounds great, but it's awful short notice for me, especially since I'll be away in early October. :(

Hey, Greg, would you know Steve Maurice's member name on the forums so that I might drop him a line or perhaps find out which part of my state he lives in? Is the John Williams (Chicago) you mentioned the same one who has the instructional DVD?

Jeff