Musical hallucinations

Just been listening to BBC Radio 4 and an item on this phenomenon. People who are going deaf but hear tunes or songs in their head to the extent that they dominate.

An expert said it is often related to people who were exposed to a lot of music when they were young.

So the ipod generation has a lot of internal music to look forward to?

Incidentally I read somewhere that digital recording can stimulate depression etc as compared with analogue. I know my son reckoned that a lot of hip hop and techno stuff was in minor keys and they can create a gloomy feel can't they ( although I love tunes in minor keys) Are there 'dark' keys. I know some people 'see' various keys or notes as different colours.

Has anyone any facts on this ( or is it the crap music that's around)

I still prefer wax cylinders and shelac recordings

I know it sounds bit odd but when I hear 'tunes' I visualize shapes rather than colours in my minds eye. But then if its song with words..especially if there's a story to it |I see the story unfold in my minds eye.

Just been listening to BBC Radio 4 and an item on this phenomenon. People who are going deaf but hear tunes or songs in their head to the extent that they dominate.

I'm not going deaf (although my wife would disagree) but I've usually got music buzzing around in my head. It's one of the reasons I find muzak so annoying, even if it's pleasant music - it's interfering with my personal soundtrack.

Are there 'dark' keys?

Yes. The different keys are said to have different moods and characteristics, see here. This is why classical composers wrote in different keys, it wasn't just to make it difficult for the orchestra :) . I believe this is a result of the different musical temperaments, and presumably this is lost with equal temperament.

As for digital music causing depression, I suppose digital music is less pure than analogue since it chops the sound up into tiny bits, could this affect the brain in some way? Or is it something to do with modern music styles developed since the advent of digital?

I'm not going deaf (although my wife would disagree) but I've usually got music buzzing around in my head. It's one of the reasons I find muzak so annoying, even if it's pleasant music - it's interfering with my personal soundtrack.

Are there 'dark' keys?

Yes. The different keys are said to have different moods and characteristics, see here. This is why classical composers wrote in different keys, it wasn't just to make it difficult for the orchestra :) . I believe this is a result of the different musical temperaments, and presumably this is lost with equal temperament.

As for digital music causing depression, I suppose digital music is less pure than analogue since it chops the sound up into tiny bits, could this affect the brain in some way? Or is it something to do with modern music styles developed since the advent of digital?

The link to keys and moods explains why Morris men like Gmajor then

I had the flu a few months ago and I had to be careful not to hear any tunes while feverish because they would be stuck in my head, playing over and over again for... until the next tune.

It was horrific!

:wacko:

Yes. The different keys are said to have different moods and characteristics, see here.

OMG!!! That's like musical astrological signs! I wonder if you assigned dates to the notes if it would reflect the personalities of people born in that key. :unsure:

Personally, I think you've all been in the mushroom tea. <_<

Then again, my ceiling fan plays rhythm for me...must be a flashback. :(

It seems that Lady Heeley (aged 91) who was on the programme complains about carol singers at the door ( in Summer!)

She was pretty much on the ball on the programme and says the music is usually well performed.

She's lucky she doesn't hear X Factor contestants from the early stages of the contest, - Nightmare!

I read an article online once that stated that there was a loose connection between tumors and or brain hemoraging associated with music or songs stuck in your head - that is, that people who were suffering from one of those conditions would hear the same song over and over again.

if its true, then we may have some proof that advertising jingles cause brain damage...