Anglodeon Layout

Well, after some thought and discussion with Stormy Hyde, here are my thoughts on the layout on the proposed Anglodeon. What do people think? The layout iof the treble end is part Wheatstone, part Jeffries G/D. On the bass end I have gone for a standard D/G melodeon set, plus some extras that will help with the keys of C and A. I've put the "G" chords in the middle instead of the end (as is normal in 3 row melodeons) as I expect to play more in G than anything else and so want the chords where I can most easily get at them.

Chris

Edited because I can't figure out the image handling...

post-7-1082120675.gif

Edited by Chris Timson

Well, after some thought and discussion with Stormy Hyde, here are my thoughts on the layout on the proposed Anglodeon. What do people think? The layout iof the treble end is part Wheatstone, part Jeffries G/D. On the bass end I have gone for a standard D/G melodeon set, plus some extras that will help with the keys of C and A. I've put the "G" chords in the middle instead of the end (as is normal in 3 row melodeons) as I expect to play more in G than anything else and so want the chords where I can most easily get at them.

Chris

Edited because I can't figure out the image handling...

Hi Chris,

Very interesting!

The major bass-chords D/A and G/D are indeed the same as a melodeon bass layout (and in fact some layouts would put the G/D in the middle as you did -- I have one like this), however, I'm curious about the inside bass row. Normally one would include the B/E as you did (except with Em as the chord) and instead duplicating the pulled E of F#/E, have F#/Bm. Here, it might also be useful to have the F#/Bm in the middle and the C/C at the end.

So if I understand the layout correctly, from my "melodeon-centric" perspective, it is a D/G melodeon, with the G row dropped an octave lower (as on a G/D anglo). Also, the beginning of the G scale is shifted one button to the left (toward the chin) farther than on a typical melodeon layout, to mimic the row-to-row orientation of an anglo.

Will this be a voice instrument, or 2-voice?

Thanks for posting the layout, Chris, it looks like it will be a fun box.

Andy

So if I understand the layout correctly, from my "melodeon-centric" perspective, it is a D/G melodeon, with the G row dropped an octave lower (as on a G/D anglo).  Also, the beginning of the G scale is shifted one button to the left (toward the chin) farther than on a typical melodeon layout, to mimic the row-to-row orientation of an anglo.

Will this be a voice instrument, or 2-voice?

Basically you're right. It has been more important to me to preserve the relationships between the rows for the "right hand" note than the "left hand" (i.e. those notes which would have been played by the right hand on a conventional ango). This is because I play melody mostly on the right of the instrument. I hope that I shall end up exploring the "left hand" of the range more than I am able (post stroke) to do at present time.

It will be a 2-voice box with a stop on the bass end to remove the thirds. If anyone else is interested in such an instrument, the price Pete has quoted me for this (with the particular choice of woods and accessories I wanted) is a little over 4000 AUS dollars, which I think is very reasonable.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Colin Dipper has made concertinas on similar lines which are exactly the same fingering as a standard French Melodeon. i.e. in C & G with a third row of sharps flats and reversals not avalible on c/g. He liked it so much that he has one for his personal use; and often plays it at concertina weekends he attends.

Inventor.

You speak of course of the fabled franglo which he first made for Emmanuel Pariselle. He plays it quite often at the session at Corton. I've often thought of the anglodeon as being a sort of reverse franglo. I've a picture of Colin playing one on my web site here.

Chris

PS the anglodeon is due to arrive in about December.