Beginner's instrument: Hohner C48/6 or Jackie?

Hi folks. :)

I need to get myself a starting instrument. So far I have found two feasable possibilities - the Hohner C48/6 and the Jackie from The Concertina Connection.

Which one should I get, according to you guys? They're pretty much the same price, but the Hohner has a lot of extra keys.

Thanks in advance. :)

The Jackie is almost certainly better made than the Hohner. Since I don't play English concertina, I can't comment on the impact of its having fewer buttons.

Daniel

I need to get myself a starting instrument. So far I have found two feasable possibilities - the Hohner C48/6 and the Jackie from The Concertina Connection.

Which one should I get, according to you guys? They're pretty much the same price, but the Hohner has a lot of extra keys.

The Jackie is almost certainly better made than the Hohner. Since I don't play English concertina, I can't comment on the impact of its having fewer buttons.

Daniel

Hohner does have extra keys, but in lesser "keyed" Jackie you'll only miss C# two octaves above "middle C".

Jackie is more than adequate, it's better made, is airtight (important feature, probably dearly missing from Hohner), has good action (smooth buttons and even springs), and good enough tone. Jackie is more likely to be in tune and Hohner is not. Hohner may have valves falling off at about 15 minutes of playing (personal experience), have buttons sticking in "in" position. It may have very (VERY) stiff bellows that will play in... after many months of playing.

If you want a bag of problems with extra keys - Hohner is your thing. Otherwise get a Jackie. Supply Jackie with leather baffles for better tone, why not?