Wheatstone Strap Hooks. Replace

Hello

My Linota's hand straps has the hooks on a pivot that one pushes down into a hole in the straps, inorder to adjust them. As opposed to the buttons that you screw in with your fingers. Does that make sense?

I have alot of trouble with these. I keep having to bend the point of the hook into the strap hole with a pliers and eventually it will probably break.

My question is would it be awful to replace these with screw device?I guess I would screw it in to the bottom end of the handle?

Would that be sacreligeous?

Does anyone have that same problem? What was your solution?

Thanks

Richard

Edited by richard

The last time that I broke off one of the points I looked around for a piece of metal to solder into place as a replacement for the point. Being a railway modeller I found that a short length of "OO" (4mm to the foot scale) rail, about 2-3cm long, suitable filed to a rounded point and cleaned up could be soldered inside the metal loop and prodruding in place of the point. The rail I used is made from nickle-silver, but rail from the average train-set is usually steel. You should be able to get brass rod in several diameters from a model/hobby shop or a reasonable tool shop.

You need to clean up the metal to get a good soldered joint. I use a glass fibre pen, rather like a propelling pencil, obtainable from model/hobby shops.

If you have a metal hook that looks weak and about to break I should reinforce it before it goes.

Robin Madge