Cases

Jack Bradshaw

Just thought I'd pass this along...these guys make custom instrument (usually scientific) cases.....

I received a quote for an 8"x8"x8" ID (+ 1/4 foam lined) birch case for 70 USD.......

http://www.northeastcases.com/index.html

> Hello Jack,

>

> The price for the 8" x 8" x 8" instrument case with 1/4" foam is $70.00

> ea.

> These are the inside dimensions.

> 3/8" baltic birch plywood hardwood, very smooth) on sides, top and bottom.

> 2 steel brass plated 90 degree stop hinges.

> 1 steel brass plated latch.

> Clear finish

> 4 bottom felt feet, or rubber.

> Delivery running 2-3 weeks for 10 cases.

> Ship UPS Collect.

> Terms net 30 days

>

> Thank you

> Paul Giardina

> President

> Northeast Cases, USA

> Phone 508-460-1104

> Fax 508-460-0466

>

post-815-1242869877.gif

Edited by Jack Bradshaw

I'd be hesitant to put my instrument in any case that uses foam. Foam will crumble with time and give off dust and small foam fuzz that has a very good chance of getting into reeds and causing all sorts of problems. Concertina cases should be blocked instead.

I'd be hesitant to put my instrument in any case that uses foam. Foam will crumble with time and give off dust and small foam fuzz that has a very good chance of getting into reeds and causing all sorts of problems. Concertina cases should be blocked instead.

Quite true Peter. But, there is foam and there is foam..I've yet to find out what they are using but there are archival varieties....

I've made a few cases over the years for both melodeons and concertinas.

My standard method of lining the case is to glue a thin (10 mm) sheet of upholstery foam to a thin card panel, then cover (glue) the foam side with plush fabric, overlapping the fabric for a few millimetres on to the rear card side. The foam is then completely encased by card and fabric. The whole sandwich is then glued into place on the inside of the wooden case. Each interior face of the case is lined with a separate sandwich panel as described.

My oldest case made in this way must be 25 years old and I have never once had any problems with dust in the reeds caused by foam/fabric degradation.

I have just completed a blocked case for a 30-key anglo and on this occasion I lined the case and the wooden blocking pieces with a sandwich of polyester wadding and plush fabric. The polyester wadding I bought on a local market haberdashery stall; it's about 10 mm thick but squashes down to 1 or 2 mm. I'm told it's normally used for making the lining of padded bras. I bought over a square metre of the stuff, so I've got an quite a lot left over if anyone is into making their own lingerie.

The polyester wadding I bought on a local market haberdashery stall; it's about 10 mm thick but squashes down to 1 or 2 mm. I'm told it's normally used for making the lining of padded bras. I bought over a square metre of the stuff, so I've got an quite a lot left over if anyone is into making their own lingerie.

I think thats the stuff I use for my quilts. ;)

The polyester wadding I bought on a local market haberdashery stall; it's about 10 mm thick but squashes down to 1 or 2 mm. I'm told it's normally used for making the lining of padded bras. I bought over a square metre of the stuff, so I've got an quite a lot left over if anyone is into making their own lingerie.

One of your quilts inside a case would do the trick I think LDT.

Ian

Ian

funnily enough that's what my bag is made from

concertinabagcomplete-1.jpg

That's the snazziest bag I've seen yet for a concertina. Is your melodeon similarly snug?

Ian

Not yet..I was going to make a matching bag but realised it wouldn't be strong enough. :(

Don't want the straps to snap.

Quite true Peter. But, there is foam and there is foam..I've yet to find out what they are using but there are archival varieties....

Just heard back on the foam....Anyone familiar w/ this stuff ?

>Hi Jack

>

>I use 2 lb. polyester blue foam for all my customers.

>Have never had any complaints about dust particles or wearing away.

>I have used this for 15 years and no problems.

>Hope this helps.

>

>Thanks

>Paul

Ian

WOW! It looks all cosy and warm. Are you becoming self-sufficient, LDT? It's a good thing to do if you have the time, and I think some people might look at being self-sufficient with their fruit and vegies because of the recession, but let's not get into that subjects of the GFC. ;)

Another idea for blocking out a case is to use foam board (I bought mine from Staples office supplies shop) - a fairly solid layer of foam with a laminated surface. Several layers can be glued/taped together to make blocks for each corner, and I attached them to the case with small velcro pads, in case of later adjustments. It adds virtually no weight to the case, and keeps the concertina snug.

Edited by SteveP

WOW! It looks all cosy and warm. Are you becoming self-sufficient, LDT? It's a good thing to do if you have the time, and I think some people might look at being self-sufficient with their fruit and vegies because of the recession, but let's not get into that subjects of the GFC. ;)

I'm trying to be accomplished regency style:

Sew

Play cards

speak at least one other modern language

Play a musical instrument

dance gracefully

Sew

Play cards

dance gracefully

No mean feat LDT and an excellent start to the skills necessary in life.

Thinking properly begins when you learn a second language,as you will find out if you achieve this. Dancing gracefuly starts with walking properly and that was something even my age group had trouble with. Fencing sorted me out and then various other similar things.

Ian

Sew

Play cards

dance gracefully

No mean feat LDT and an excellent start to the skills necessary in life.

Thinking properly begins when you learn a second language,as you will find out if you achieve this. Dancing gracefuly starts with walking properly and that was something even my age group had trouble with. Fencing sorted me out and then various other similar things.

Ian

Just a little jab 'll do ya!

Sew

Play cards

dance gracefully

Eemmm... :rolleyes: let's see:

- Sew: Nope. Only the ocassional loose button.

- Play cards: No way. In this country is almost a religion, and if you make a mistake, they'll acuse you of cheating & are able to kill you (and I'm not talking about play for money, but as a passtime with your own family!) :blink:

- Speak at least one other modern language: Yes. I've not any other choice, because I'm married to a northern barbarian... I mean, an englishwoman! :lol:

- Play a musical instrument: Yep. :) two, really.

- Dance gracefully. No way at all. I know barely how to put a foot in front of the other for to walk, not to talk about dancing :(

So, 2 of 5. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be a good enough lady, and no Mr. Darcy is going to fancy me. How dissapointing... :( :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

Sew

Play cards

dance gracefully

Eemmm... :rolleyes: let's see:

- Sew: Nope. Only the ocassional loose button.

- Play cards: No way. In this country is almost a religion, and if you make a mistake, they'll acuse you of cheating & are able to kill you (and I'm not talking about play for money, but as a passtime with your own family!) :blink:

- Speak at least one other modern language: Yes. I've not any other choice, because I'm married to a northern barbarian... I mean, an englishwoman! :lol:

- Play a musical instrument: Yep. :) two, really.

- Dance gracefully. No way at all. I know barely how to put a foot in front of the other for to walk, not to talk about dancing :(

So, 2 of 5. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be a good enough lady, and no Mr. Darcy is going to fancy me. How dissapointing... :( :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

I have two regency ettiquette books.

One suggests that a young lady should learn piano forte or harp....I'm sure if the concertina had been around that would have been suggested too. ;)

Oh! Mr Darcy..*sigh*

I think I'm a bit of a Catherine Morland really.

I have two regency ettiquette books.

One suggests that a young lady should learn piano forte or harp....I'm sure if the concertina had been around that would have been suggested too. ;)

Of course, my dear... but only the proper posh one: english system! Leave the rude anglo-german ones for the peasants... :P

Oh! Mr Darcy..*sigh*

I think I'm a bit of a Catherine Morland really.

Oh, my god!... :rolleyes: As if I had not enough 'Pride & Prejudice' stuff at home! ;) By the way, terribly difficult to understand, even with subtitles...