First two hours and songs

I'm excited. "Jack" showed up in the Fedex today. After two hours I'm sight reading from my Luteran Hymnal. Phrasing and control aren't great but the notes are pretty much there and my wife at least recognizes the tunes that I'm playing.

Sorry, just wanted to share with other students who haven't taken the plunge yet :lol:

Dave,

I'm an old music major so sight reading ... and singing ... are part of the landscape. I guess I was more exited about the brain reading the note and pushing the right button ... most of the time at least. I do agree with you, though, that sight reading is a good skill to have and would shorten the process of learning new tunes.

Rod

I'm excited. "Jack" showed up in the Fedex today. After two hours I'm sight reading from my Luteran Hymnal. Phrasing and control aren't great but the notes are pretty much there and my wife at least recognizes the tunes that I'm playing.

Sorry, just wanted to share with other students who haven't taken the plunge yet :lol:

Congratulations! When my tenor Stagi got here last year (oh my, has it been that long already?!) I pretty much snatched it out of the UPS man's hands and plopped down on my porch with it and commenced to making discordant noises, but by the end of the day had played a few simple tunes (I also had previous musical and sight-reading experience). It was great fun, I remember how thrilled I was that I could actually play the beast, it was completely different than the fiddle but I could "get it" and make music. Ahh, happy memories.

Have fun, and good luck!

Have fun, and good luck!

Thanks, Fiddlehead Fern. Your website is pretty cool.

I didn't snatch it from the Fedex lady but pretty close. The cats weren't at all impressed. They'll learn, I'm sure. If this works out, I'm saving for a Morse Baritone but have to outgrow this one first.

I appreciate your encouragement!

Rod

......If this works out, I'm saving for a Morse Baritone but have to outgrow this one first.

Rod

Hi Rod

That shouldn't take too long. ;) :D

Congratulations B)

Leo

Have fun, and good luck!

Thanks, Fiddlehead Fern. Your website is pretty cool.

I didn't snatch it from the Fedex lady but pretty close. The cats weren't at all impressed. They'll learn, I'm sure. If this works out, I'm saving for a Morse Baritone but have to outgrow this one first.

Rod

....my website? Please enlighten, to the extent of my knowledge I haven't got one. :unsure:

Ah, there's been lots of discussion on cats and concertinas under the "general concertina discussion" subforum, I'm sure a search would turn it up pretty easily. They do learn eventually, or they train the aspiring free-reed musician to comply with the Feline Enforced Noise Ordinance.

Qoute from Fiddlehead Fern;

"Ah, there's been lots of discussion on cats and concertinas under the "general concertina discussion" subforum, I'm sure a search would turn it up pretty easily. They do learn eventually, or they train the aspiring free-reed musician to comply with the Feline Enforced Noise Ordinance."

My cats eventually decided that retreating was not the answer because they couldn't get far enough from the source of their displeasure. Instead, their new strategy was to advance and attack. One cat would approach me to my left with his back arched while the other would jump up at me from the right and either bat my right hand as hard as possible or sometimes give me a nip on the back of the hand. That got my attention. The only way that they would leave me alone was if I stopped or chased them out of the room and shut the doors. They are now old enough that they don't have the energy to do that anymore but just in case.....I still close the practice room doors.

Steve