Cool Tunes for Hot Dances

My new CD, “Cool Tunes for Hot Dances” is now for sale at CDbaby.

There are 18 original dance tunes here, played solo on Anglo concertina, including music for contra, square, couple, ceili and morris dancers. I’ve crafted these new tunes to be reminiscent of the old chestnuts from a variety of American and English dance traditions. Countless dancers — contra, square, Playford, ceili, and morris — have enjoyed these melodies, and I hope you do too. Here is the track list:

1 Cutting Rushes / Easy Way / Song of the Hobby Horse

2 Wagging the Dog

3 Complete Hornpipe

4 Dancing by Starlight

5 Hudson Highlands / Marching Home

6 Ox Cart

7 Crank It Up

8 Pixie Wings

9 Saucy Sally

10 Strange but True / Fantastic Miss Toe / Be It So

11 Snow Baby / Fiddler’s Girl

12 Work’s All Done

All of these tunes, plus many more, will be featured in my tune book, also called “Cool Tunes for Hot Dances,” but the book is not quite finished. In the mean time, the CD is waiting for you at CDbaby who will take your order and ship it to you right away. You can see more of the graphics on my web site Buy It Now page.

My thanks to all the cnet folks who have helped me with graphics and title ideas and been most supportive of the project.

Jody,

Hi!

Sounds like a winner!

I especially like the title "Wagging the Dog"...gotta hear that one!

Thanks for sharing your many talents!

I look forward to seeing you again at NESI 2009!

Priscilla

There are 18 original dance tunes here, played solo on Anglo concertina, including music for contra, square, couple, ceili and morris dancers. I’ve crafted these new tunes to be reminiscent of the old chestnuts from a variety of American and English dance traditions.

All of these tunes, plus many more, will be featured in my tune book, also called “Cool Tunes for Hot Dances,” but the book is not quite finished.

My thanks to all the cnet folks who have helped me with graphics and title ideas and been most supportive of the project.

I bought the CD at NECW last month, and listenened to it twice on the way home. So far my favorite tune is #4, Dancing by Starlight, a Central European style waltz, but it had an unfair advantage -- Jody had handed out the "dots" of it at an earlier workshop, or posted it as a Tune of the Month, so I had been trying to play it for a while. Would love to play it as smooth and fast as Jody!

Jody's usual wizardry with the Duet ... er, I mean, Anglo! :P Fine recording job too. --Mike K.

Jody,

Hi!

Sounds like a winner!

I especially like the title "Wagging the Dog"...gotta hear that one!

Thanks for sharing your many talents!

I look forward to seeing you again at NESI 2009!

Priscilla

Great! are you going to NESI again in September? I'm hoping to be there and so far it looks good.

There are 18 original dance tunes here, played solo on Anglo concertina, including music for contra, square, couple, ceili and morris dancers. I’ve crafted these new tunes to be reminiscent of the old chestnuts from a variety of American and English dance traditions.

All of these tunes, plus many more, will be featured in my tune book, also called “Cool Tunes for Hot Dances,” but the book is not quite finished.

I bought the CD at NECW last month, and listenened to it twice on the way home. So far my favorite tune is #4, Dancing by Starlight, a Central European style waltz, but it had an unfair advantage -- Jody had handed out the "dots" of it at an earlier workshop, or posted it as a Tune of the Month, so I had been trying to play it for a while. Would love to play it as smooth and fast as Jody!

Jody's usual wizardry with the Duet ... er, I mean, Anglo! :P Fine recording job too. --Mike K.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to take so long to reply, Mike. Dancing by Starlight is my favorite too. I like to think of my duet-like approach to the Anglo as also sort of a bandoneón approach... at least in that tune. This is true, not so much in borrowing techniques but in the sound I'm trying to achieve.

I don't remember handing out the dots or putting that one on my Tune of the Month page, but I'm honored that you find it familiar and that you are learning to play it. We can try it out together at the Squeeze-In perhaps?

Hi Mike,

Sorry to take so long to reply, Mike. Dancing by Starlight is my favorite too. I like to think of my duet-like approach to the Anglo as also sort of a bandoneón approach... at least in that tune. This is true, not so much in borrowing techniques but in the sound I'm trying to achieve.

I don't remember handing out the dots or putting that one on my Tune of the Month page, but I'm honored that you find it familiar and that you are learning to play it. We can try it out together at the Squeeze-In perhaps?

Hi Jody. I'd have to find my copy of Starlight, then I could figure whether I got it from you in a workshop session or printed it off your TOTM page. It's in my stack here somewhere.

Yes, I'd love to work it up well enough to be able to tell my grandkids that I played alongside Jody K.

Those Middle European scales are a little touchy on the Hayden, but I'll work on it.

I have spots for THe Lonley Coed if you or anyone else is interested (what I played for you at NECW).

--Mike K.

• 2 weeks later...
I have spots for THe Lonley Coed if you or anyone else is interested (what I played for you at NECW).

--Mike K.

Mike,

That would be grand. Send it on please... a very nice tune as I remember. Might even work on Anglo.

--Mike K.

Mike,

That would be grand. Send it on please... a very nice tune as I remember. Might even work on Anglo.

I'm sure you could make it work on ANglo ;)

You can play it at a steady tempo as a waltz,

or way up-tempo for a jig even. I'll get it to you within a few days -- may even post the JPG scans of the score here.

--Mike K

PS: My spots for "Dancing by Starlight" are definitely from a computerized page, as in TOTM..

Edited by ragtimer

--Mike K.

Mike,

THanks! It's posted here now, under Tunes and Songs. It should be playable on any squeezebox type.

--Mike K.

Hello Jody,

just ordered it from CDbaby.

I hope to receive it by the end of the year ;)

David

Great!

Which year are you talking here? My son's school year ends June 26. I bet you get the CD before that.

Last time I ordered from them I received the CDs more than one month after.

So I expect to receive this one before the end of 2009...

At least, I received the confirmation e-mail from CDbaby ; again they burned tons of candles for me.

Did you do it as well ? :lol:

At least, I received the confirmation e-mail from CDbaby ; again they burned tons of candles for me.

Odd -- when I ordered Jody's "Naked COncertina" album back when it came out, CD Baby sent me confirming email within a day, and I had the disk within a week -- same as Amazon or whoever.

I hope their service isn't slipping. --Mike K.

Odd -- when I ordered Jody's "Naked COncertina" album back when it came out, CD Baby sent me confirming email within a day, and I had the disk within a week -- same as Amazon or whoever.

No Mike, I don't think CDBaby service is slipping. It's the postal service to Europe that's slipping.

David, I just got off the phone with one of the Babies and he told me that your (my) CD shipped out yesterday, June 2, by International Airmail. If you want it faster you can opt to pay five times as much for fast shipping via UPS, but most customers who want instant gratification download the MP3s. According to the babe I spoke with, regular mail is slow and unpredictable to Europe especially France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Japan and Australia are quick and reliable. He attributes this to the strict tariff and duty controls on imports to European countries. This young one told me that the CDBaby policy is that if you don't get it in a month they will reship and eat the loss.

Keep me posted how long this one takes, but I won't hold my breath. Bets anyone?

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Thanks ; but you should not have taken all this trouble.

I definitely can wait for a few weeks ; and at least it will be a good surprise when it eventually arrives !

David

No Mike, I don't think CDBaby service is slipping. It's the postal service to Europe that's slipping.

David, I just got off the phone with one of the Babies and he told me that your (my) CD shipped out yesterday, June 2, by International Airmail. If you want it faster you can opt to pay five times as much for fast shipping via UPS, but most customers who want instant gratification download the MP3s. According to the babe I spoke with, regular mail is slow and unpredictable to Europe especially France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Japan and Australia are quick and reliable. He attributes this to the strict tariff and duty controls on imports to European countries. This young one told me that the CDBaby policy is that if you don't get it in a month they will reship and eat the loss.

Keep me posted how long this one takes, but I won't hold my breath. Bets anyone?

Edited by david fabre