Save Your Session!

Save your Session!

Is your session { & your sanity } under attack?

If so, for £21.50, THIS could be the perfect solution to the 21st Century's dreaded scourge of the Session!

Maybe now, folks will get back to talking, instead of sending text messages ... across the table!

By the way, it's official ... people who use Mobile Phones in Public places ARE a Pain in the Ass!

Next time a Mobile Phone annoys you in a Session, try THIS!

In case you are interested, here are the "Ten Commandments of cell phone etiquette."

Please take particular note of No. 3:

"3. Thou shalt turn thy cell phone off during public performances.

I'm not even sure this one needs to be said, but given the repeated violations of this heretofore unwritten law, I felt compelled to include it."

If we don't stamp them out NOW, in future all sessioneers may end up wearing THESE!

Can't you just picture all the real flash harrys chatting with their broker or ordering a Pizza ....... mid-tune!

Here is some more food for thought:

".... more and more it is in human-measures: annoyance, irritation, and frustration. It is what makes us wish to throw away the technology even as we embrace it.

We are in real danger of a consumer backlash against annoying technologies.

We already have seen the growth of mobile-phone free zones, of prohibition against phone use, camera use, camera phones, in all sort of public and private places.

The mobile phone has been shown to be a dangerous distraction to the driver of an automobile, whether hands-free or not.

If we do nothing to overcome these problems, then the benefits these technologies bring may very well be denied us because the social costs are simply too great."

Food for Thought!

Isn't it funny how driving & sessions have the same dangers ... i.e. Drunks & Mobile Phone users!

"Several surveys have actually concluded that using a phone behind the wheel is more dangerous than drink-driving and more likely to cause a car accident."

Car Accidents

Maybe it's time we all posted THESE up at our Sessions:

By the way, while we're on the subject, do you live next to a Mobile Phone Mast?

If so, you might want to read THIS!

Oh & don't worry too much about the vanishing Rainforest. After all, they can always replace it with THESE!

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Hm, since most sessions are in a Public House, one is on shakey ground messing with some jackass cell phone user.

People listen or don't. Is it not part of the tradition? Words like banishing, and comandments puts me in mind of Folk Nazis. Nobody but Folk Nazis like Folk Nazis. Enough of that sort of sheit on paying customers and a session could be shown the door.

The session is one thing to us, but many things to others and to the owner of a public house it seems would be viewed as something to attract and entertain patronage, not attack and pontificate on matter of manners.

Being a Neo-Ludite, I hate cell phones and many other things too numerious to mention...but like my mode of dress, and music I'm not in the majority, so keeping a warm fuzzy, look at that odd duck playing the concertina...ain't he a scream, thing going is my only course.

Save your Session!

If so, for £21.50, THIS could be the perfect solution to the 21st Century's dreaded scourge of the Session!

£21.50? Bah. A pint still costs under £3.00 round here, and you only have to drop someone's mobile in it once for them to generally get the message ...

Alternatively

Save your Session!

£21.50? Bah. A pint still costs under £3.00 round here, and you only have to drop someone's mobile in it once for them to generally get the message ...

Alternatively

Somethimes I'm proud of London and here is a perfect example: how to deal with a mobile-fetter user.

Ian

Edited by Hereward

Save your Session!

Alternatively

Ha Ha Excellent! :lol:

Great idea.

At least the Mobile guy took it in good spirit, too!

Cheers

Dick

At least the Mobile guy took it in good spirit, too!

Surrounded by the band and with the room cheering, do you think he had much choice? Spot on!

Chris

Bit of a din though. I couldn't make out what they were playing. And perhaps the guy on the phone couldn't either, so he he just kept on talking through the racket. Can't blame him. (It was filmed in Covent Garden Piazza, by the way.) We have a strict 'no mobile phones on' rule at the Islington Folk Club, enforced by our MC, Bernard. He makes a point of standing up after the second floor spot and telling the audience to turn off any mobile phones in their possession, or risk being ejected. It seems to work. :)

Chris

Has anyone tried that £21.50 jammer? It's so much cheaper than I've seen advertised, one wonders if it really works! I'm in agreement with Mark, believing that 'sessions' in public houses should be as tolerant of non-listeners as they expect non-listeners to be of them. Unfortunately, too many pub session players believe their music has some kind of moral priority over customers who just want a pint and a natter with friends. Session players who speak disdainfully of "punters" seem to fall into that category.

Sessions in private settings are another matter, and a mobile accordion jammer might be a hot seller. ;)

Seriously, I'd gladly buy a mobile jammer if it had the range to shut off idiot drivers who get so absorbed in their chatter that they endanger everyone else on the road. <_<

Has anyone tried that £21.50 jammer? It's so much cheaper than I've seen advertised, one wonders if it really works! I'm in agreement with Mark, believing that 'sessions' in public houses should be as tolerant of non-listeners as they expect non-listeners to be of them. Unfortunately, too many pub session players believe their music has some kind of moral priority over customers who just want a pint and a natter with friends. Session players who speak disdainfully of "punters" seem to fall into that category.

Sessions in private settings are another matter, and a mobile accordion jammer might be a hot seller. ;)

Seriously, I'd gladly buy a mobile jammer if it had the range to shut off idiot drivers who get so absorbed in their chatter that they endanger everyone else on the road. <_<

I think a couple of you are missing my point here.

I'm not actually talking about 'punters' using Mobiles, after all, they don't pay to hear us & let's be honest, lots of them don't even like the noises we make, so I think it'd be a tad unfair of us to expect anything from them.

I think all we can do there is just be delighted when they do actually like our noises. ;)

No, I'm thinking more about yer actual members of the session! Surely they should know better? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dick

On a serious note, the jammers sound fine on the face of it - however, I did read that they not only jam mobiles, but can jam the signal to pacemakers, so using them in a public place could cause very serious repercussions .

I think a couple of you are missing my point here.

In my own defence I'd not missed the point, I just take every opportunity to introoduce new people to that great YooToob clip I posted earlier!

A few years ago I was playing in an impromptu session in a pub in South Wales - we had no 'right' to be there any more than anyone else in the pub did, but it was all going swimmingly and the locals, judging by the number of offers of drinks coming our way, were obviously perfectly happy for us to be there for the evening.

When one of the people of the periphery of the session started singing, however, a couple of the other people in the session were making shushing noises to try to quieten the rest of the pub - and I was really uncomfortable about that, because we were the interlopers, not the rest of the pub. (It didn't help that the singer was, well, not very good.)

Non-participants at sessions in public places have every right to ignore or appreciate the music as they choose: concerts and any non-public event (by which I mean an event in which a conscious decision has been made to attend the event and to be in the same space as the music/singing, be that the local folk club in the upstairs room or the Royal Albert Hall) are entirely different of course.

However: if you are actually participating in the session, decide to take time out to answer or make a call, and don't physically move away from the session to a position at which you completely minimise disruption and inconvenience to the rest of the session ... well you deserve everything you get, whether it be loud tutting or a rauschpfeife solo down the earhole. Ignorance, and indeed stupidity, is no defence!

What if your ringtone is concertina playing..... :P

Depends on the player and is it cheating?

Ian

Me...well I recorded myself playing for a ringtone so I would do that 'oh that's a nice tune wonder who's phone is ringing' thing. I definately know its me....I think 'Lambeth Walk' is my current ringtone.