Interesting 1853 Wheatstone

miikae

I believe the seller is a well known Aussie restorer who's name eludes me at the moment and i feel sure he pops on here from time to time , looks like it may be a Baritone single action by the size of those reeds but i may well be wrong.

Mike

I believe the seller is a well known Aussie restorer who's name eludes me at the moment and i feel sure he pops on here from time to time , looks like it may be a Baritone single action by the size of those reeds but i may well be wrong.

Mike

No not a restorer...Thats Richard Evans or Malcom Clapp...I am just a seller

Patrick

Argh thanks for that Patrick as i was maybe thinking of Malcolm Clapp , tis late and i should realy be in bed by now .

I have noticed that you do have a few for sale now and then , is it a Baritone by the way.

Mike

..., looks like it may be a Baritone single action by the size of those reeds but i may well be wrong.

Mike

I'd agree with that. It shows in the ledgers as being originally purchased on May 10th 1853.

My interest was sparked by having today played a single action Wheatsone baritone from 1876 that is on loan to a friend. It is the most beautifully toned instrument I have ever come across, but is, sadly, not for sale.

looks like it may be a Baritone single action by the size of those reeds but i may well be wrong.

Mike

I was thinking single action bass. A baritone wouldn't need to be stretched to get 44 keys. Also, those reeds look bigger than the ones in my baritone of the same era (which is a standard radial layout and has two reeds per key). Unfortunately the ledgers from that period don't say what model was sold. The original price on this one was 7 pounds 7 shillings--- pretty steep for that era, though not the most expensive on its page. I wonder which button gives middle C.

A bass would be rarer, I think; though old baritones aren't exactly common.

Hi Mike

Yes i do have concertinas from time to time and many go straight to dealers. I do have a few good ones on the way. May take them back to Ireland with me later this year ? Are you looking for anything ?

I spoke to Richard Evans ( kookburra concertinas Australia ) about the elongated Wheatstone and Richard tells me its a Single Action Bass Concertina.

There you go.

Patrick

djangojessie