Jeffries vs. Wheatstone

I know that this is an old thread but would like to add a tune for practicing the lower notes on left hand. It is "Tickle Her Leg With the Barley Straw". Sharon Shannon's version. It is quite challenging. It forces the player to intertwine the left hand pinkie, ring and bird finger (as David Levine refers to it) on the low A, B, C#, E and F# notes in the beginning phrase in the A part of the tune. It drove me crazy but when I am having trouble down on those low notes I like to warm up with that tune. After playing this tune for a few years it has certainly given me a much stronger pinkie and more coordinated playing on the lower end.

Steve

I know that this is an old thread but would like to add a tune for practicing the lower notes on left hand. It is "Tickle Her Leg With the Barley Straw". Sharon Shannon's version. It is quite challenging. It forces the player to intertwine the left hand pinkie, ring and bird finger (as David Levine refers to it) on the low A, B, C#, E and F# notes in the beginning phrase in the A part of the tune. It drove me crazy but when I am having trouble down on those low notes I like to warm up with that tune. After playing this tune for a few years it has certainly given me a much stronger pinkie and more coordinated playing on the lower end.

Steve

Ashokan Farewell (in D) is also a good tune for giving a work out to the lower end of your concertina with the pinkie and ring finger.

Back to the original thread- I did succeed in changing the button configuration of the Wheatstone. I had Dave Prebble make two reeds of the same size as those in no. 17. No's 18 and 19 were easily switched and adapted to the Wheatstone layout. I did change the tuning of some reeds. It is neither a difficult nor a long job. I imagine the change could be done for about $50-100 by a concertina repair-person.

Anything I did could easily be reversed. The Wheatstone, while a lovely concertina, is a folk instrument and neither a priceless 17th. C. violin nor The Holy Grail.

Edited by David Levine