Rochelle vs Lachenal

Gusten

Hi,

I said in another thread a while back that I should post a sound clip where you could compare the sound of a Rochelle and my new Lachenal. As I'm late to finally come around to do it (had to format my computer to get things running), I figured I'd might as well post it here. First run is with Lachenal, second run with Rochelle.

Recorded with a single Shure SM58 microphone, placed too close to the concertina so the buttons sound more from the Lachenal than they would when listened to normally. No editing or enhancing whatsoever, and with my roommate playing computer games in the background. I only allowed myself one take, so I mess up a bit. (I hope you forgive me, as I've only been playing for three and a half month).

I hope this offers some comparision between what old concertina-reeded instruments and the very popular Rochelle sound like. Hope anyone finds this useful.

(The song is Out on (in? of?) the Ocean.)

Lachenal_vs_Rochelle.mp3

Number of downloads: 111

Would be fun if anyone cared to comment on the clip, with over 100 downloads. I know I probably sound pitiful, but I was hoping to get at least a "congrats on the upgrade", "nice to be able to compare", "the Lachenal sounds like it needs some tuning" or "it's hard to compare the sound with such simple recording device".

I guess I'm just a bit spoiled, since I've gotten such tremendous feedback on all my other posts.

Cheers all!

Would be fun if anyone cared to comment on the clip, with over 100 downloads. I know I probably sound pitiful, but I was hoping to get at least a "congrats on the upgrade", "nice to be able to compare", "the Lachenal sounds like it needs some tuning" or "it's hard to compare the sound with such simple recording device".

I guess I'm just a bit spoiled, since I've gotten such tremendous feedback on all my other posts.

Cheers all!

There you go.

Looks like Lachenal has more nasal sound, which suits the type of music you played better, but Rochelle's sound is more universal, suitable for wider range of music.

Rochelle appears to be slower and harder to play, but from the sound of your Lachenal it appears to be a bit slower than your technique demands. I personally don't find the sound of Lachenal been overly appealing, but it may be just the recording. It came across as more reedy than I'd like as far as concertina sound goes, and less reedy and full as far as accordion sound goes. Kind of inbetween. But I must congratulate you on your technique. It's rare that irish tune, played by an amateur, in single melody style, appeals to me. And your playing does. It has lots of feel, rhythm, interesting adornment, though it tends to get stuck sometimes because of speed of your instruments. I'd say you need better concertina still. You totally deserve it as far as playing goes. The economy is not friendly, but one lives only once.

Well, this comment may has not been what you expected, but it's what I feel and since you asked...

A great player you are though.

Thanks! This should be useful. The number of downloads demonstrates its value.

(How's that?)

Daniel

Cheers all!

Cheers all!

Oh right!

Not unexpectedly, I am all impressed! (The sound differences in the instruments is

secondary to me - they are to be expected: more clarity in the Lachenal ("nasal" as 3838 says).

We are talking about instruments with vast differences in reeds and construction.

What I am impressed with is the short time it has taken you to figure out cross-fingering of sorts!

Now, if we could get you into the capable hands of some of the young Clare players... that would

add the fluidity that I (personally) like so much. But there is this terrible rumour that Mrs. Crotty

isn't going to happen this year. We may need to start a Facebook group, if it turns out to be true.

We've got to meet! Lund or Höör?

/henrik

Cheers all!

Playing the same tune with the same mic setting makes the sound difference so clear.

Thank you for sharing. Good idea.

--

Taka

PS. I too recall this tune as out on the ocean.

Thanks all for the kind words! Didn't mean to be a sob, I'm just used to getting so much feedback, ideas and opinions on everything I post that I, like I said, have gotten a bit spoiled.

My neighbours are starting to complain on me playing all the time, so it's a good thing that the Lachenal allows the possibility to play at lower volumes.

Henrik - anything happening in Höör? Don't know when next session in Lund is planned, but there's one in Helsingborg next thursday I believe.

Again - thank you all so much for the comments, and also for the encouraging words! My inspiration to keep playing is growing by the day.

Henrik - anything happening in Höör? Don't know when next session in Lund is planned, but there's one in Helsingborg next thursday I believe.

Na - the only place it happens is in my kitchen :rolleyes: .

You are welcome - most often getting around in tunes is better kept off-public.

But I may turn up in Hälsingborg, depending on weather -

/Henrik

Na - the only place it happens is in my kitchen :rolleyes: .

You are welcome - most often getting around in tunes is better kept off-public.

But I may turn up in Hälsingborg, depending on weather -

/Henrik

I'd like that! Want to work away alot of the... sloppiness out of my playing first though. I'm spending most of my playing time with building repertoire, and trying to get them up to session speed. Then, I try to work out some nice ornaments for every tune. What I don't work on is playing things correctly, which I really should focus on to have a more solid ground to build on. Give me a few more weeks ;)

Best regards

Gusten

Hi Gusten,

I've only just started to play the concertina after 20 years on the harmonica, but it seems clear to me that the Rochelle doesn't sound like a concertina. There's no attack in the sound, it's muffled and dull, it has little character, whereas the Lachenal shines. Sell or pass the Rochelle onto someone else to start on, I reckon.

I long for that Lachenal sound.........I've just bought a cheap chinese copy of a Rochelle which, as you can imagine, is terrible, but at least it can teach me how the thing essentially works, and I can move on when I can afford better (in fact one of these chinese copies sold for more than I paid for mine new on Ebay recently, so I can probably recoup my costs!?)

Putting the comparison up was great as I now know what i have to do...save more money.

But in the meantime an important thing to remember is that loads of great music was done on inferior instruments, the concertina started for most players as a cheap throwaway instrument.

My last though is......how many Rochelles and the like have you seen at a session?

Cheers.

My last though is......how many Rochelles and the like have you seen at a session?

Cheers.

Harmonicertina,

I'm very glad you found the post helpful!

I'm not a very experienced 'sessioner', so I think other people can answer your question better. I've never seen a cheap concertina at the sessions I've visited, except for my own Rochelle. People did not, however, seem to mind that I brought the Rochelle to the table. I have a very humble approach to sessions, so if I don't know the tunes by heart I don't start making noises. I use the mandolin for learning and playing along with new tunes, as it isn't very loud.

I'm sorry, I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet, so I feel that I'm just babblin'. Rochelles and the alike seem rare at sessions, but as long as you don't play badly it should still be welcome. My guess is that when you've played enough concertina to have a big repertoire of tunes, that you can play without errors and up to good session-speed, you have probably passed the point where you want to upgrade to something better.