Maccann

tony

Well, I suppose that we'll know what it's worth when the auction is over. The only alternative way I can think of to get a sense of the market price for one of these would be to contact Chris Algar and ask him if he's got something similar for sale, and at what price -- but Chris of course gets to charge a premium over an unknown seller as a result of his stellar reputation.

Once you have repadded, revalved and resprung them, as is very commonly required, put them in concert pitch (if necessary), or at least put them in tune, then I think Mr Algar tries to sell them in the vicinity of £600-£700. I think this one is a basic model, superior models can fetch a bit more.

It seems that casual buyers on ebay often fail to realise the necessity/cost of the above-mentioned works, and so can be prone to pay Too Much.

This one wound up selling for £485.

Once you have repadded, revalved and resprung them, as is very commonly required, put them in concert pitch (if necessary), or at least put them in tune, then I think Mr Algar tries to sell them in the vicinity of £600-£700. I think this one is a basic model, superior models can fetch a bit more.

It seems that casual buyers on ebay often fail to realise the necessity/cost of the above-mentioned works, and so can be prone to pay Too Much.

If it plays okay then the auction price that came out (under 500 GBP) feels very reasonable to me, who can tell whether this one is not leaky and ready to play easy and in concert pitch? It could be compared to Hobgoblin prices as well. At this moment they offer several MacCanns of a similar type in a price range from 750 to 1400 pounds Sterling. If you think 1400 is too much, keep in mind that a MacCann has a couple of reeds, hooks, pads, levers, valves and buttons more than a 32 button anglo. So what is fair if a lachenal 32 button anglo of similar quality would probably fetch 1800 or more in the shops?

Is this a fair price considering its description?

If it plays okay then the auction price that came out (under 500 GBP) feels very reasonable to me, who can tell whether this one is not leaky and ready to play easy and in concert pitch? It could be compared to Hobgoblin prices as well. At this moment they offer several MacCanns of a similar type in a price range from 750 to 1400 pounds Sterling.
Is this a fair price considering its description?

To be precise, Marien, Hobgoblin are selling one like this for £750. The ones sold at different prices are different concertinas. Going from 46 key to 57 key can double the price. And the £1400 price of the 39-key is certainly a misprint, or wrong picture. We know that the likes of Hobgoblin and the Music Room sell things at a premium to private transactions and home-based dealers, because they are conveniently available over-the-counter in showroom music shops around the country, and you benefit from consumer protection legislation. I bought my original 46-key Lachenal for a little under £500 over the counter from The Music Room. I could at least hold it in my hand, try it out, and was shown inside it, before I bought it. It was demonstrated to be in concert pitch. I still ended up paying £240 for restoration and improvements.

As I said before, you can fairly easily get a basic Lachenal 46-key in restored, playable condition for around £700. How easy? I've got one I'll sell you for £700 on the spot. It is recently restored, and as extras has had the buttons bushed and the ends repolished.

With this one, we can see from the pictures and description, it needs pads and valves as a minimum. There is some slight reassurance, but not definitive reassurance, that it is in concert pitch. So the question is, can the purchaser get this one into good restored condition for less than £200? If all it needs is pads and valves, then OK, but it doesn't leave much margin for the risks of buying on ebay and other condition risks.