My hands are a little busy right now...

Dieppe

Ever have the experience where you're playing a tune, or along with people (you know, "musicians") and such, and some well meaning person tries to hand you something?

I mean... my thumbs are in the thumb straps, or your hands are in the hand straps.. and it's not like you can easily take the pint. So have to kind of gesture with your head and give a sort of "Uh, my hands are a little tied up right now" look.

Really... can't you see my hands are busy? ;)

Ever have the experience where you're playing a tune, or along with people (you know, "musicians") and such, and some well meaning person tries to hand you something?

I mean... my thumbs are in the thumb straps, or your hands are in the hand straps.. and it's not like you can easily take the pint. So have to kind of gesture with your head and give a sort of "Uh, my hands are a little tied up right now" look.

Too busy playing music for a pint? I guess you have your priorities straight!

Has it occurred to you that they might have wanted to stop you playing, Patrick?

I think that the proper response in that situation is..."How about a straw?" Then you can play AND have the pint!

Blimey! When I was a teenager we used to drink through a straw because you go three sheets to the wind after only a pint that way. No doubt it'd be one way of finding new tunes but whether listeners would apprecioate what you found is another matter.

Ian

Yes I know the feeling.

They expect me to talk about something else when I'm in the middle of a tune. Sorry the brain doesn't do two things at the same time. I'm a bloke.

Yes I know the feeling.

They expect me to talk about something else when I'm in the middle of a tune. Sorry the brain doesn't do two things at the same time. I'm a bloke.

Same here!

Don't they realise that a tune only lasts about 3 - 5 minutes, and wait till I stop? :angry:

Reminds me of the story of the man who ordered a pint in a pub, but before he could drink it, the pub's pet monkey skipped along the bar and urinated in the glass. The customer was shocked, and told the barman that he wanted to complain to the landlord personally. "That's him over there, playing the piano," said the barman. The customer went over to the man at the piano and said severely, "Do you know a monkey peed in my beer?"

"No," said the landlord, "But if you could hum a few bars I might recognise it." :P

Cheers,

John

Oh my, taking things handed to you and talking while playing music....what fun.

I don't think anyone's ever tried to hand me something while I was playing, but I've been asked questions and actually had answers expected of me at that instant (who knew?).

Maybe people have never tried to hand me something when I was playing fiddle because they noticed that I had something in each hand. However, they might have been mislead if they ever caught me when I had a horrible itch or a hair in my face that I had to move and so adjusted it quickly with my left hand when I had a long open note that I could just hold for long enough to take care of business. However, the time there is fractions of a second, doing anything more would be nigh impossible. To me, at least....

As far as talking while playing, ooh, it doesn't work for me. I can read a magazine propped up on a music stand and understand what I'm reading and not miss notes, that's not hard at all (when a kid is a total bookworm and has to practice, these things happen, and yes, I know I'm a sad excuse for a human).

But as soon as I try to say something it all falls apart; I miss notes, try to get them back, miss more in the process and, alas, all is lost. I've tried numerous times, but never really managed to get it. Maybe someday, I'll keep trying, if nothing else it's amusing I suppose. :unsure:

If I'm at a session I usually let the other players decide when it's time to switch or stop, since I'm so incompetent at it. Subtlety is good, but if all else fails a panicked look to someone else who can stop the hurtling steam locomotive you've set in motion usually works nicely as emergency brakes too. *sigh*

I guess I'll go practice now....

My mum always decides to ask me a question or have a 'conversation' when I'm practicing...I general just stop 'very loudly' to make my point or just try to ignore the distraction.

Although I've started practicing while watching tv...that way I've got something to do in the adverts. lol!

I think that the proper response in that situation is..."How about a straw?" Then you can play AND have the pint!

Good, but not a new idea :D - here is a part of the hand-made poster

for the Irish Festival in Stockholm (probably 1980):

post-448-1231253879_thumb.png

The artist was a musician Magnus Ek, a good concertina player,

who played both EC and AC. Unfortunately, he dropped out of the Irish scene,

I think to pursue a career in advertising (obviously as a graphic artist).

/Henrik

Edited to remove a word -

Edited by Henrik Müller

Unfortunately, he dropped out of the Irish scene,

I think to pursue a career in advertising (obviously as a graphic artist).

/Henrik

More money but probably less fun in life. I know which one I'd opt for.

Ian