One-handed concertina

Thank you, Alan. I was not aware that you'd deleted your post until now. I have deleted mine as well.

The point of equating those terms was to draw attention to the total issue, of which your particular involvement was but one element. In other words, I don't consider it "okay" to label certain groups by stigmatizing terms (i.e., by their "disabilities," physical abnormalities, or unusual appearances), but not others, etc.

I'm sure you understand...thanks again.

Edited by catty

And nobody is offering any ideas of how to modify existing instrument to be played with one arm.

I thought this thread will sparkle with engineering brilliance.

I'm very interested to see some drawings and ideas.

I'll try to make the video of my shoulder strap and post it again, the old was deleted.

• 3 weeks later...
And nobody is offering any ideas of how to modify existing instrument to be played with one arm.

I thought this thread will sparkle with engineering brilliance.

I'm very interested to see some drawings and ideas.

I'll try to make the video of my shoulder strap and post it again, the old was deleted.

Edited to try be more clear:

I had mentioned last year that I wanted to try to play my duet with one hand and beat a small drum with the other. This turned out to be a lot more difficult than I had thought, at least for me, though I haven't abandoned the idea. Requires more corrdination than I orginally anticipated.

I have a Crane duet 48 key, and a Maccaan 46 key, both have the same type of straps as found on an anglo.

I re-visited playign the box at other angles just this last weekend: Verticaly pulling and pushing down can be acomplished by tightening your thumb around the outer strap, still it feels a bit awkward and I get worried about what would ahppen to valves if it was played like this everyday.

So I think your going to have to pump the bellows horizontally, as it was designed for.

I think I would start with trying to make the strap balance your whole hand, maybe something that goes onto the forearm to take weight off your wrist. You might benefit from using a smaller lighter box (perhaps this is a good use for one of those small duets with few keys).

It might be less painful for you if the straps had a runner board that strapped to your forearm and was firmly atatched to the concertina end parrallel to the keyboard. I'm thinking though that might pose a problem with the tendons that move your fingers running up your arm (don't want tendonatis).

I had some other suggestions but have concluded you either already tried that or they were unworkable.

Hopefully by now you have been able to experiment with soem other solutions.

Edited by Hooves