EC Wheatstone History 1851

miikae

I am in the process researching the history of an EC i bought reciently serial number 3078 & initialy bought by a Leut Owen on Sept 9th 1851 for the princely sum of 10 guineas

here

next to bottom of the page , after his name are the letters which look like RK but may well be RN , if its really RN then it looks like it may have been in a Navy family all if not most of its life as it was last owned by a Admiral who has an amazing history as an Ace Submarine Commander in WW2 and died in Dec 2007.

Leut A R Owen possibly ?

If anyone can add to what i have already discovered it would be much appreciated.

Edited to add 10 guineas equivalant to year 2000 price of £ 5,967.79 as per the calculator see here

ouch

Mike

Edited by miikae

Many thanks for that Wes , i have been doing much searching and i did come up with him stationed at Chatham and went on to Australia where he captained a ship for a month only and then dropped of the records , i did find a list of ships he was on but i seem to have lost the links now , must try to find them again .

Mike

Commander A R Owen , Captained HMS Falcon from 16 April to the 12 June 1866 Australia . He died 1876 born 1829 ,Son of Sir Hugh Owen, 2nd Bart.

Edited as links located now .

Edited by miikae

MILKAE AND WES: i'm not so sure that that's "RN". . . .the problem is this: whatever it is, it's a correction. . . . . .note the very thick pen stroke. . . compare it with the rather more botched effort at writing the name "Joyce" up at the very top of the page. . . . .

to be sure, i am not for a moment arguing against the identification. . . .just that the reading "RN" looks a bit suspect to me. . . . . .

let me ask you this: would anyone go for "Rb". . . .that is a lower case "b". . . . .in which case we could have the initials for Richard Blagrove. . . .who might have been picking up the instrument for Owen, who, in turn, might have been a Blagrove student. . . . . . .this kind of thing happens very frequently throughout the ledgers..................just something to mull over..................Allan

Hi Allen , I had looked over nearly all pages and in the end i noticed how the "N" where written at the end of many names as above Thompson and even the N in Owen in lowercase has all the properties of an upper case N if you see what i mean ( more than likely written by the same person ) other than it being RN there is nothing i can think of to put it to refering to on this tina . At first thoughts i thought that it may have refered the finish but seeing as its a Dark Walnut nothing matches here.

I am always open to suggestions though as my writing is a bit like that and sometimes i cant read it.

Yes i did think of RB at one time as i had read about him and initials added to the end to indicate a student of his , after a discount possible eh or a bonus for RB.

I must admit being very old school i write just like that and have just tried a few letters and it is so near a lower case h the more i look at it and a b is possible too.

Mike

edited cos i missed out RB

Edited by miikae

perhaps it's an attempt to alter a lower case "n" into a CAP "N". . . .but it's not the "normal" "N". . . . .

one thing to do: go through the ledgers and look at all entries for military people (easy enough to pick out). . . .see if there's an ID of sorts that tells which service they're in. . . . .i don't recall any. . . .but i never looked for such specifically......................allan