Loking For Shops/dealers In The Uk

Hello, I'm new to this forum and as yet, do not play the concertina. I'm looking for a good quality English system instrument. Can anyone suggest a shop or a dealer where I can buy one. Most of the musical instrument shops I visit only have cheaper beginers outfits. I'm located in Lancashire but prepared to travel to buy.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Hello, I'm new to this forum and as yet, do not play the concertina. I'm looking for a good quality English system instrument. Can anyone suggest a shop or a dealer where I can buy one. Most of the musical instrument shops I visit only have cheaper beginers outfits. I'm located in Lancashire but prepared to travel to buy.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Hobgoblin usually have one or 2 - there's one in Manchester Here

same for the Music Room in Cleckheaton Here

But the place with the most choice is Chris Algar of Barleycorn (Stoke on Trent) Here

who has huge stock of all varieties!

and you might also be interested in going along to one of the Jubilee Concertina workshops in Chorley, 2nd saturday of the month Here

Edited by spindizzy

Barleycorn Concertinas probably have the largest stock to choose from.

The Box Place has a nice Wheatstone model 21 (and a superb pinhole Æola if you can run to it).

Check out the buy and sell forum on here, there's a link to a very tasty Wheatstone 48 key Æola on ebay at the minute and there's a nice looking tenor/treble Lachenal New Model still available as a private sale I believe.

Pete.

Thanks for the replies :)

I went to the Music room last week but they had no stock and the staff new very little about concs. To be fair, they are all away during festival season, but I was a bit disapointed.

I'm hoping to get to Hobgoblin in Leeds next week sometime.

I've emailed Barleycorn Concertinas just now, so hoping for a reply soon.

Check out the buy and sell forum on here, there's a link to a very tasty Wheatstone 48 key Æola on ebay at the minute

Hmm just a little over my budget atm :(

and you might also be interested in going along to one of the Jubilee Concertina workshops in Chorley, 2nd saturday of the month

Great stuff, that's just down the road from work. How come I didn't know about this already.

The best bargain brands are the Rochelle, Jack, and Jackie from Concertina Connection. The Rochelle is an Anglo (different notes on push or pull, very much like a harmonica), the Jack and Jackie are English (same note in either direction, the scale goes back and forth from one hand to the other).

Stagi and Hohner aren't as good in my opinion.

If you get an Anglo get 30 buttons. 20 buttons are too limited.

Edit to Add: The ones I listed are advertised on the Music Room's website at 270 pounds. I'd suggest just finding a shop that has Englishes and Anglos to figure out which kind you like better, and order one of those online.

ETA again: Just reread the original post and saw you know you want an English. C'est la vie or something like that. I stand by my advice, though. It may not be good, but it's what I got.

Edited by wntrmute

Guest HallelujahAl!

Seriously you need to TALK to Chris Algar at Barleycorn, he has without doubt the largest array in the UK of English system concertinas known to man! His number is 01782 851449. I've bought a number of EC's from him and I've always had the very best service, honest, truthful and no bull from him.

and you might also be interested in going along to one of the Jubilee Concertina workshops in Chorley, 2nd saturday of the month

Great stuff, that's just down the road from work. How come I didn't know about this already.

Jubilee have a few loaners if you want to try out a concertina (I think Angie has a couple of english and at least one anglo, but I'm not sure there are duets, though there should be one or two of these at the session.

If you can get to Whitby Folk Week Aug 16-22 you will find many concertinas on offer in the trade fair. I'll have some, and a selection of Chris Algar's, though he will not be there himself, and Hobgoblin and the Music Room will have their stock there too. Its a good opportunity to talk to several dealers under one roof.

Seriously you need to TALK to Chris Algar at Barleycorn, he has without doubt the largest array in the UK of English system concertinas known to man!

I've just recieved an email back from Chris at Barleycorn Concertinas. He has a large amount of English concertinas in stock, but as with most dealers, his stock is being sent to Whitby in time for the folk festival. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a month or two before making a purchase.

Or I could always go to the Whitby Festival :rolleyes:

Oops! two more post while I was typing :P

Jubilee have a few loaners if you want to try out a concertina (I think Angie has a couple of english and at least one anglo, but I'm not sure there are duets, though there should be one or two of these at the session.

That's an interesting idea. I've just missed this months session (last night) so I may give it a try next month if my shifts work out right.

If you can get to Whitby Folk Week Aug 16-22 you will find many concertinas on offer in the trade fair. I'll have some, and a selection of Chris Algar's, though he will not be there himself, and Hobgoblin and the Music Room will have their stock there too. Its a good opportunity to talk to several dealers under one roof.

You took the words right out of my mouth Theo.