Wheatstone 48 Key Aeola

Ken

My Wheatstone treble English 48 key Aeola is for sale on eBay. :(

Made at the time of Wheatstone's finest productions, this top of the range model No. 25707 was completed on 2 October 1912 and has been well looked after ever since. 

This outstanding concertina (with only one previous owner!) was carefully restored by Steve Dickinson at Wheatstone's, has beautiful black ebony ends, new six-fold bellows and is tuned to A= 440 Hz. The instrument is in excellent working order throughout, the key action is smooth and the superb original steel reeds give a clear, warm tone with brilliant volume.

I'll be very sorry to see it go. :(

Made at the time of Wheatstone's finest productions, this top of the range model No. 25707 was completed on 2 October 1912 and has been well looked after ever since ... with only one previous owner!

I used to have a fabulous treble from less than 2 years earlier, No. 25045, that was also "only one previous owner". It too had been very well looked-after and had never had a thing done to it since it left the factory, so it was still in high pitch (and in tune with itself), but I finished up having to sell it to buy a car... :(

They made some really great instruments in those years before WWI. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sold. There was only one bidder, and that was Chris Algar - a man who knows a good buy when he sees one. I'd have bought it myself, if I'd had the money... :(

Is that the case that originally came with that concertina? Or better question might be, where could one get a case like that? :)

Patrick

Sold. There was only one bidder, and that was Chris Algar - a man who knows a good buy when he sees one. I'd have bought it myself, if I'd had the money... :(

Is that the case that originally came with that concertina? Or better question might be, where could one get a case like that? :)

Patrick,

If I had bought it, I'd have made you a present of that highly unsuitable case!

An instrument of that quality belongs in a well-fitted and corner-blocked hardshell case, if it is to be looked after properly.