68 Button Edeophone Maccann Duet For Sale.

Robin Madge

Having tried out the duet and decided that niether of us have enough time or flexibilty of mind to master a second concertina system I'm putting this up for sale and am offering it here first. I attach a photo of one end and have more to illustrate the internals etc.

Marked with " The Edeophone Duet, Lachenal & Co. London WC" and serial number "4520".

The handstraps are the original gold tooled ones with the legend "Lachenal and Co. Patent No 4752, London."

Nine fold bellows (nine peaks that is, I've always found that a confusing description).

Reed pans and ends marked with serial number and an inked stamp for "H.J.M Clarke, 3, Ball-Haye Street, Leek, North Staffs" on each reed pan. Chris Algar says that he has come across a few instruments marked by this dealer and they were generally good instruments.

There is also an internal pencilled note about a repair dated 26/6/1995.

Very clean internally and in tune at concert pitch. Lowest note is G, the same as the lowest on a standard G/D Anglo.

It has a red lined cube box that I imagine is less that 20 years old.

If I have to subsequently list it on ebay it will be starting at about ₤1700.

If interested please contact me for more photos, they are about 3.8Mb each, so I'm up against the limit for posting here, but give a fair resolution.

Robin Madge

post-352-1211919940_thumb.jpg

Reed pans and ends marked with serial number and an inked stamp for "H.J.M Clarke, 3, Ball-Haye Street, Leek, North Staffs" on each reed pan. Chris Algar says that he has come across a few instruments marked by this dealer and they were generally good instruments.

That sounds like it must be an early stamp of the concertina player/dealer Monro Clarke of Leek, himself a Maccann duet player. You'd sometimes see his more usual octagonal stamp "MONRO CLARKE for concertinas" in good quality instruments from around Leek and Stoke-on-Trent - so no doubt Chris Algar has come across it... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi! are you still selling this concertina? I you are I would be interested in it. How much would you ask for it?

I will be able to purchase it before the end of july, or beginning of august.

Thanks!

Gilbert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...
18 hours ago, Butty woman said:

@Stephen Chambers Could you please post here the Monro Clarke thing you attached as the link is broken plaese. I have an instrument with that in that I'm trying to find out about.

I'm sorry but that was 16 years ago, and at this stage I don't know what that link was to, or where it has gone... ☹️

Though it might have been to an article about Henry Walker, of Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, who bought concertinas off Monro Clarke (I've had one of them, a 64-key Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble, maybe 40 years ago) that appeared in Free Reed, The Concertina Nesletter, No. 12  pages 13-16.

Stephen - I just posted the same link on Butty Woman's other thread. But the link she was enquiring about was to a post on this site, although it's no longer available because of changes to the system bulletin board.