How Important Is Weight

Ok, I have been lurking on these forums on and off for maybe a year or so (like the new format alot, much easier to browse and search) and I have a second Turbo Stagi that I have had some fun with and can play several Irish Tunes (whether it is in Irish Concertina style I am not sure, most of them are played more or the less the same as I would on the B/C button accordion except for the F# and C#).

Now for the question... I have been up to know anyway, primarily a Box player and I find it interesting how concerned many here seem to be with Concertina weights. My saltarelle weighs about 11 lbs and I have a 4 voice red box that probably weighs close to 15lbs. I doubt any standard concertina weighs more than what 4lbs? Could someone please explain why weight seems so important?

--

Bill

I have been up to know anyway, primarily a Box player and I find it interesting how concerned many here seem to be with Concertina weights.

Could someone please explain why weight seems so important?

Bill, do you use shoulder straps -- or something other than the grip of your hands -- to support your button accordions?

Concertinas are supported in front of the body by the hands and arms, "gripped" via a bar and strap for the hand (anglos and duets) or a small loop for the thumb and plate for the little finger (Englishes).

If your accordions had straps for the right hand like those for the left hand, and no support other than the two hand straps, would you be able to support the weight and play?

Many concertina players find it difficult to both support the instrument and play without additional support. For this reason, many concertina players sit and support the instrument on their leg while playing, while a small percentage use some sort of neck strap or equivalent.

I am one of those who play with my concertinas (even my 7-lb. contrabass English) suspended in my hands and with no additional support, but even I find that the difference between a 2 lb. concertina and one that weighs 3 or 4 pounds affects my playing. I personally find that weight matters more with the anglo/duet handles than with the English ones. (I'm sure not everyone agrees with me on that detail, but I think that should be a separate discussion.)

For me, the only importance of weight is whether I'm standing or not. In sessions I usually sit, so the fact that my 45-button Jeffries is heavy doesn't bother me. I have no choice about standing to play for the morris, so I bought a Morse anglo for this purpose, which is so light it is as near to wearing musical gloves as I have yet encountered.

I play English music of course, but I have heard Irish music players (particularly of the ultra-fast diddly-diddly school) say that they want light concertinas simply to avoid the inertia involved in moving a heavier instrument in and out. How much of this is myth and how much real I cannot say. Any ultra-fast diddly-diddly players care to comment? :)

Chris

Edited to change "Irish players" to "Irish music players", and remove an implication I hadn't intended to make. Sorry.

Edited by Chris Timson

I play English music of course, but I have heard Irish players (particularly of the ultra-fast diddly-diddly school) say that they want light concertinas simply to avoid the inertia involved in moving a heavier instrument in and out. How much of this is myth and how much real I cannot say. Any ultra-fast diddly-diddly players care to comment? :)

Dana Johnson, who some of you may know, has over recent years built a small number of anglo concertinas, and he is an enthusiast for Irish playing. He experimented with some denser (or thicker?) metal for reed shoes (I forget what) and the instruments came out heavier (close to the weight of a 45 button Jeffries, for a 30 button instrument). He took one to Ireland and named for me several players who tried it and didn't find it an issue. IOW, he was telling me he found Americans to be much more obsessed with weight of a concertina than are accomplished players he knows in Ireland.

Just one person's experience. You'll find passionate views both ways here Bill (as with everything!)

As an English Irish-music player (particularly of the ultra-fast diddly-diddly school) playing 39 key Jeffries C/G anglo, I don't find weight comes into it. You get a comfy position for the box and move one end as little as possible.

Diddly players probably play less chords so have more wind (fnaaar) and many practise playing tunes in either direction so can minimise bellows direction change.

The only strain diddly players may feel is playing tunes which go down to the bottom end of the left hand side, but these pinky-stretching exercises are worth persevering with, if just for the tonal contrast down there.

Bill, do you use shoulder straps -- or something other than the grip of your hands -- to support your button accordions?

Concertinas are supported in front of the body by the hands and arms, "gripped" via a bar and strap for the hand (anglos and duets) or a small loop for the thumb and plate for the little finger (Englishes).

If your accordions had straps for the right hand like those for the left hand, and no support other than the two hand straps, would you be able to support the weight and play?

Well i do use a strap, but in most respects the strap is to help stabalize the box on my left leg. I wouldn't really dream of playing standing up.. but that would be true regardless of what I play. As for playing without a strap and having it only supported by my hands.. well i admit that a 11-15lb box would be a bit heavy, but I know a lot of cajun accordion players play their boxes without a shoulder strap, just a tumb strap for their right hand. I don't know if they play standing up.

I do have one of the Tedrow Turbo stagis and I play it off my leg... I couldn't imagine an extra pound weight making a significant difference in it... oh well, thats me.

--

Bill