Concertinas On Woman's Hour. Uk

In one of the interviews it says that the layout of the Anglo makes no sense at all.

What is causing this notion?

It's strange and at the least inacurate. If this is the same complaint that we hear about Bandoneons, I may have hopes rekindled.

I happened to catch it as it was broadcast live. An interesting programme indeed. And I quote from the BBC website:

Women concertina players 29 Feb 2008

The Irish folk instrument is making a comeback

The concertina has a long tradition of being a woman's instrument in Irish folk music. The instrument was even known in Gaelic as the woman's accordion. Now the concertina's enjoying a huge surge in popularity among Irish musicians of both sexes, but it still seems women are in the majority. Sarah Swadling's met three concertina players, who span the generations.

Chris

Today, 29th Feb, BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme carried a short item on the anglo concertina in Ireland, in particular it's position as a woman's instrument!

Listen again here :- Woman's Hour

Interviews with 3 woman players with some audio.

regards

Jake

.. and the picture shows an excellent selection of ENGLISH concertinas.

(edited:) ... and a duet

Edited by spindizzy

(edited:) ... and a duet.

Yes, I know. Someone should report the BBC for misrepresentation. Still, I suppose unless you know the difference between an Anglo, an English and a Duet, any hexagonal squeeezebox with buttons on the end, is, simply, a concertina. BTW, does anyone recognise the tunes from the excerpts being played and know their names, or are they all Gan ainm?

Chris

Today, 29th Feb, BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme carried a short item on the anglo concertina in Ireland, in particular it's position as a woman's instrument!

Listen again here :- Woman's Hour

Interviews with 3 woman players with some audio.

regards

Jake

Lovely - thanks Jake, am recording it right now.

/Henrik

(edited:) ... and a duet.

Oops, sorry, slip o' the mouse

Edited by Theo

Hello All!

I'm the reporter who made the concertina piece for Womans Hour. Er yeah, the website picture. Not a single Anglo there. I'll hold my hands up I should've sent a photo to the Womans Hour team who do the webpage (I'm a freelance) but I forgot/didn't realise they needed one. I've got a really nice photo of Mrs Curtin, who's in the piece, too!

The tunes: (without listening to it again) they are - The Rights of Man, the Cuil Aodha (a great jig for concertina, I always think), Tatter Jack Walsh may be in there, the two tunes played by Mary Ellen Curtin I'm afraid I don't have the names of, and the last hornpipe, played by Niamh NiCharra, is Wade Hamptons.

Sarah

... BTW, does anyone recognise the tunes from the excerpts being played and know their names, or are they all Gan ainm...?

Yes, I know them, but don't know their names :P (really helpfull, eh?)

The first is, as mentioned before "Rights of Man", the second - a very short excerpt - is "The Cul Aodh jig" ('Coolay"):

X: 1
T: Cuil Aodh, The
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Gmaj
gfd cAd|GAG B2c|dcB cAG|
FED cBA|~G3 GFG|~A3 fga|
gfd cAd|1 GAG G2g:|2 GAG G2d||
d2g gfg|ade fga|gfd cAd|
cAG FGA|G2g gfg|ade fga|
gfd cAd|1 GAG G2d:|2 GAG G2g||

During the interview with Mary Ellen, there is a hornpipe set in the background, all familiar, but names? Not yet, sorrry.

/Henrik

Hello All!

I'm the reporter who made the concertina piece for Womans Hour. Er yeah, the website picture. Not a single Anglo there. I'll hold my hands up I should've sent a photo to the Womans Hour team who do the webpage (I'm a freelance) but I forgot/didn't realise they needed one. I've got a really nice photo of Mrs Curtin, who's in the piece, too!

The tunes: (without listening to it again) they are - The Rights of Man, the Cuil Aodha (a great jig for concertina, I always think), Tatter Jack Walsh may be in there, the two tunes played by Mary Ellen Curtin I'm afraid I don't have the names of, and the last hornpipe, played by Niamh NiCharra, is Wade Hamptons.

Sarah

Nice piece....I even forgive the hoary old cliche that people think concertina players are hoary old seadogs.

ha, but i DID think concertina players were, well, not, hoary old seadogs, but something worse-----hygiene-deficient, social-skills-deficient failed hippies who WISHED they were hoary old seadogs, down to wearing attempted sailoresque clothes and unclean beards with bits of food stuck in said beards, toting around concertinas they didn't know how to play. the reason for my misconception was that for years, my sole exposure to concertina consisted of encounters with individuals fitting this description. then i had the luck to get exposure to mary macnamara's playing and later to be in a county clare pub and see kitty hayes playing the concertina and get a brief conversation with her in which she egged me on to give it a whirl......!