Help

TOD

I've just bought a 20 Key anglo concertina, just a cheapy to see if I could get a tune out of it.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and I can get a tune out of a harmonica and a D whistle. I play guitar with a trad group (not strictly session as we do a lot of ballad based stuff and only a handful of instrumentals) and can play fairly complex DADGAD and open string arragements.

I'm an audio engineer by trade and have produced a number of rock and folk records. I don't sight read although I can decipher notation. All in all its fair to say I have a reasonable grounding in music.

Problem is I can't even get a simple scale out of the concertina! Ok I've only had it two days but I expected to be at least able to play Twinkle Twinkle by this stage.

I just need a simple scale diagram to get me started, I should be able to figure out chords and harmonies down the line, but for now I just need to know which notes the buttons play!

You don't say whether your instrument is a C/G or a G/D, but this should get you started. As you have already found your way around the harmonica, think of each row as a harmonica, broken in half with the left half on the left end and the right half on the right end. 20 keys = 2 10-hole harmonicas in two keys (usually C/G or G/D, as above, but occasionally other keys).

Ask Alan Day for his free tutorial CD.

You don't say whether your instrument is a C/G or a G/D, but this should get you started. As you have already found your way around the harmonica, think of each row as a harmonica, broken in half with the left half on the left end and the right half on the right end. 20 keys = 2 10-hole harmonicas in two keys (usually C/G or G/D, as above, but occasionally other keys).

Ask Alan Day for his free tutorial CD.

It is now available on a free download from the following site

http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor

Al

Good job, Alan. Why not put a link to it on your page (the link in my previous post)?

Anyway, TOD, by all means, go to that site and download all the files you find there. Have a listen, and before you know it, you'll be playing as good as Alan :P

If you want to see the tunes written out, the pdf I created is available at the site I originally linked.

Good job, Alan. Why not put a link to it on your page (the link in my previous post)?

Anyway, TOD, by all means, go to that site and download all the files you find there. Have a listen, and before you know it, you'll be playing as good as Alan :P

If you want to see the tunes written out, the pdf I created is available at the site I originally linked.

Thank you everyone, I'll try and digest this over the weekend. I'll no doubt inform you all of my progress from time and generaly get more involved in the on-line concertina community now that I'm a member.